lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-17-2021, 01:42 PM   #1
sanamaro
Not Yet Wild

Default 2001 Club car ds info needed

I recently acquired a 2001 club car ds. It was not working. I had the batteries and the solenoid replaced and it works. I installed a light kit with turn signals, rear HD leaf springs and a back seat. I ordered a 4" lift kit from allsports, it should arrive in the next 2-10 weeks. I also want to purchase 12" wheels with 22" tires. The sticker is worn on the controller so I don't know how much it can handle. From reading this forum (lots of great info), I understand that the cart will lose torque with larger tires. My goal is to have a cart that can hit around 25mph and have enough torque to not significantly slow down uphill. I would like to know what the carts capabilities are before I start tinkering with the motor, controller, etc. Here is the info that I have:

Motor
HT electric Inc model # d377 48v 4.7hp 4200rpm
controller looks like a curtis
I believe it has a HD F/R
top speed 19 mph
sanamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-18-2021, 03:39 PM   #2
golfer188910
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2001 Club car ds info needed

Welcome to the forum!

Looks like we pretty much have the same year & cart... I went through a similar restoration recently with my cart. New batteries, new motor, new paint, lift, tires, cables, etc...

I upgraded all the cables to 2G, HD FNR, HD selenoid, new batteries, new lester charger, and some other goodies.

NOW... 25MPH with good torque. This is exactly what I wanted for my series cart also. However, I called every motor manufacture I could find and was told to pretty much pound sand. I live in a hilly area & the cart is lifted as you can see below. I was told I can have either torque, or speed, not both.

So... im getting 15 uphill, 20 flat, and yes I can go fast downhill. I would really like more torque & 25mph but I cant find a motor to give me that. If you do, please let me know!

Motor is a 10HP D&D speed motor
Controller is a 550AMP curtis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Club Car.jpg (9.8 KB, 0 views)
golfer188910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:54 PM   #3
Ryokuro
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Series motors don't have the grunt needed to get that kind of speed. You'd need to change your motor and controller over to a SepEx set-up.
Ryokuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:37 PM   #4
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryokuro View Post
Series motors don't have the grunt needed to get that kind of speed. You'd need to change your motor and controller over to a SepEx set-up.
Are you saying they won't achieve that speed with the 22" Tires?
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 04:43 PM   #5
sanamaro
Not Yet Wild

I'm sorry about the post. I am new to this forum and my post was not clear. The short question is does anyone have any info on the HT d377 motor? Is it a decent motor? I am new to golf carts and have limited knowledge concerning motors...etc. If i want both torque and speed (25mph) should i switch to sepex as was previously suggested?
Old 02-19-2021, 05:07 PM   #6
sanamaro
Not Yet Wild

going to try and attach some photos...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golfcart3.jpg (220.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg golfcart1.jpg (204.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg golfcart2.jpg (223.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-19-2021, 05:08 PM   #7
sanamaro
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer188910 View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Looks like we pretty much have the same year & cart... I went through a similar restoration recently with my cart. New batteries, new motor, new paint, lift, tires, cables, etc...

I upgraded all the cables to 2G, HD FNR, HD selenoid, new batteries, new lester charger, and some other goodies.

NOW... 25MPH with good torque. This is exactly what I wanted for my series cart also. However, I called every motor manufacture I could find and was told to pretty much pound sand. I live in a hilly area & the cart is lifted as you can see below. I was told I can have either torque, or speed, not both.

So... im getting 15 uphill, 20 flat, and yes I can go fast downhill. I would really like more torque & 25mph but I cant find a motor to give me that. If you do, please let me know!

Motor is a 10HP D&D speed motor
Controller is a 550AMP curtis
Thanks for the welcome. If we can figure this thing out without breaking the bank it would be great.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:18 PM   #8
hoffy1
Not Yet Wild

I have a 2001 and this is the stock controller that I have. for some reason it post the picture upside down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200806_151038.jpg (151.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20201221_160456.jpg (179.0 KB, 0 views)
hoffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:15 PM   #9
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

FYI when I ordered my All Sport kit it was August 31. It showed up in January. The directions are horrible, but the product is good.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:33 PM   #10
sleeplesstwo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Personally I have no problem with series carts. In fact you will find a few folks in here that do conversions from sepex to series conversions jut for better hill climbing capabilities.

That 25 mph mark should not be hard for you to hit, but the slowing some on hills is just kind of inevitable unless you are ready to make some costly upgrades.

You have a great looking cart there and it is my opinion it is one of the best made.

If it were me I would replace the controller first. Install the Alltrax and sell yours on the bay, or to a member here that might need a stock controller to get them going again.
It would be an outstanding upgrade to your cart, and you would very much enjoy the ability to customize you carts drivability.

If I understand correctly you think you already have a heavy duty F/R switch, so you already ahead of the game on that. Get some larger cables and a 400amp solenoid and see what you think. Easy install too.

I sound like a salesman for Alltrax, that I am not. Just a big fan..

There is a sponsor here that has great information on his site. Don't know him either, but have heard and read many good things...

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/alltrax-sr-series--.html

I like my series carts, and my sepex, AC drive is my favorite.
sleeplesstwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car