lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-27-2021, 04:54 PM   #1
CDCustoms
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Brand new bad batteries? Really?

So I've heard of people getting bad batteries when a retailer sells them a new bank of batteries. But my question is this...What was the first indication you had a bad battery? The fact that your run cycle from "100%" charge is horrible? This is my experience. I bought a new bank of batteries a couple months ago and installed them. I have been working on a number of items (complete restore and upgrade) and haven't been able to drive it much at all. in fact maybe 5 minutes here and there for testing then charged afterwards with a Summit II 1050W. Anyhow today I decided to go for a longer ride to start the motor (New Admiral) break in. I drove for a total of about 20 minutes and about 2 miles tops. Returned to the shop and plugged it in only find my battery capacity per the Summit II was about 48%!! This of course shocked me and realized now that I should have taken individual battery voltage readings. Anyhow when I bought the batteries I did notice that some of the batteries where manufactured in Feb 2020 and the half in Oct 2020. Oh...they are also Duracell SLIGC8V 8 volt batteries from Battery Plus+ (48 volt system). Any ideas or is this to be expected until I get a few good run and charge cycles complete?
CDCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-27-2021, 06:07 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Brand new bad batteries? Really?

Duracell’s are also sold at Sam’s. They’re not “bad” batteries but you won’t get the range that you would from a set of Trojans or crowns. But you also pay several hundred dollars less so there will always be a bit of a trade off.

That said, they’re new batteries. No matter what brand they are they will require a bit of a break in process and you’ll notice the performance improving the more you use them. General consensus tends to be 15-20 charge cycles before they’re broken in. Search around here for battery break in... there is no “right” or “approved” method just like breaking in a freshly rebuilt dirtbike engine. Some people like to do heat cycles and swear by it. Some people will rip it right out of the trailer and never had a failure. To each their own. But I’d sorta draw from all that information and come up with what works best for yo, your time, and your schedule.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:47 PM   #3
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Did you follow proper break in procedures and consult the battery state of charge chart on this site? New batteries do take some time go get to full capacity but that chart will help to show you where your batteries are sitting % wise.
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:56 PM   #4
CDCustoms
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks guys, I am currently "breaking" them in I suppose. I haven't run them but just a couple times for testing as I stated so I suppose I'll do so and hope that they manage to get me through a game of golf later..? hahaha.... Don't want to find myself in trouble later due to a bad battery. Wouldn't be fun to be stranded somewhere specially if my dad or wife was with me. I could hear it already!
Old 02-27-2021, 07:24 PM   #5
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just like driving slow with a ICE car uses more gas, driving slow with a electric motor uses more electricity. Going 2 miles in 20 minutes is 6mph. Another thing to consider.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:44 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I would be a bit concerned that 3 of them were a year old when you bought them. I doubt "Battery Plus" kept them charged.

I would never buy "new" batteries that are that old and that much difference in age.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:54 PM   #7
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

Agree with Moon.
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:40 PM   #8
CDCustoms
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I also agree with Moon, unfortunately I neglected to really check them out prior to driving off with them. Definitely my bad on that one.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:00 PM   #9
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCustoms View Post
I also agree with Moon, unfortunately I neglected to really check them out prior to driving off with them. Definitely my bad on that one.
I would take them back right now and show them the dates. They have at least a one year warranty right?

Warranty or not, a one year old battery should not be sold as "new."

They would see me, and those batteries the next minute they are open. We are not talking about flashlight batteries here.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:21 PM   #10
CDCustoms
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
I would take them back right now and show them the dates. They have at least a one year warranty right?

Warranty or not, a one year old battery should not be sold as "new."

They would see me, and those batteries the next minute they are open. We are not talking about flashlight batteries here.
You make a good point, think I'll be calling them tomorrow if they're open and raising a little sink. If they aren't open I'll have to wait till next Friday. But yes, the batteries are under warranty luckily.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car