lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2021, 06:49 PM   #1
rhider
Not Yet Wild

Default Western/EZGO Battery charge issue

Newbie to the forum and been searching for a bit... Hope to get a good answer to my battery issue.

Just bought a 1997 Western on an EZGO chassis. It came with a Power Wise Charger 28115G01. The previous owner said it wouldn't hold a charge.
When I plug up the cart the amp meter on charger is around 25amp then drops down to 10amp after 20 minutes or so. There is no charge level indicator on the cart.

I checked the volts of each battery after charging all day. 6.64, 6.42, 6.55, 6.56, 6.33, 6.53 and at the end of the pack it reads 38.4v

The cart will only run about 5-10 minutes then it slows to a crawl. I'm assuming the batteries are not holding the charge. I have yet to test them after a ride as i just got the cart yesterday and a volt meter today :)

Also I noticed one battery was dry in all 3 cells and another was dry in one. I refilled all cells and charged. The volts listed above are after fill and charge.

What should i be going after? New batteries or charger? Is there another component that would cause the cart to lose power so fast?

TIA from the newbie to electric carts
rhider is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2021, 07:01 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Western/EZGO Battery charge issue

It does sound like a battery problem, but to test them properly you need to: 1) Let the charger run till it shuts off on it's own. 2) let it sit overnight (or 12 + hours) to settle. 3) Check voltages across the entire pack and each battery individually. 4) If still uncertain check voltage drop while driving: Upon first starting off, with a volt meter connected as you drive, accelerate hard and see what the voltage drops off to.
Particularly having had some dry cells, the batteries are most likely bad, but this should tell for certain
meimk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:14 PM   #3
rhider
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
It does sound like a battery problem, but to test them properly you need to: 1) Let the charger run till it shuts off on it's own. 2) let it sit overnight (or 12 + hours) to settle. 3) Check voltages across the entire pack and each battery individually. 4) If still uncertain check voltage drop while driving: Upon first starting off, with a volt meter connected as you drive, accelerate hard and see what the voltage drops off to.
Particularly having had some dry cells, the batteries are most likely bad, but this should tell for certain
I left the cart plugged up overnight last night and the charger never shut off, it just dropped to 10amp on the charger meter. Im leaning towards bad batteries but don't want to throw $600 at this and it not be the problem.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:22 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The previous owner said it wouldn't hold a charge and you've confirmed that fact. It needs batteries.

The charge appears to be working normally. If it shuts off when you unplug it from the cart while the charger is still plugged into AC power, it is probably working normally.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:45 PM   #5
rhider
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The previous owner said it wouldn't hold a charge and you've confirmed that fact. It needs batteries.

The charge appears to be working normally. If it shuts off when you unplug it from the cart while the charger is still plugged into AC power, it is probably working normally.
So it looks like I am in the battery shopping mode now...
Is there a good, better, best manufacturer? AGM versus acid? 'pretty sure there are 2-3 battery manufactures of black boxes, than 300 labelers.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:31 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Only about a dozen, or so, golf cart battery manufacturers worldwide and the rest are relabeled.

Best to stick with stick with Crown, Deka (East Penn), Exide, Trojan and US Battery. (Listed alphabetically) and get the highest AH @ 20hr rate you can at the lowest price you can find locally. The standard 36V pack uses six 6V - 225AH batteries, so don't go lower than 225AH.

The higher the AH, the further the cart will travel on a single charge and the longer the cradle to grave lifespan of the batteries.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:15 PM   #7
rhider
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Only about a dozen, or so, golf cart battery manufacturers worldwide and the rest are relabeled.

Best to stick with stick with Crown, Deka (East Penn), Exide, Trojan and US Battery. (Listed alphabetically) and get the highest AH @ 20hr rate you can at the lowest price you can find locally. The standard 36V pack uses six 6V - 225AH batteries, so don't go lower than 225AH.

The higher the AH, the further the cart will travel on a single charge and the longer the cradle to grave lifespan of the batteries.
So a quick search at Batteries+ They have Duracell and Crown in stock.

DC 230ah $130
DC 215ah $98
Crown 220ah $96

Would the 220ah be "okay"? Is it really worth $34 per battery for 10 more ah?
Old 03-19-2021, 04:54 AM   #8
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Full disclosure first, we sell Crown. We choose to sell the Crown because it's a good product at a reasonable price & we have a supporting warehouse near by. They do also make a 235 amp 6 volt battery, but Batteries + may not carry it. I would avoid the Duracell over quality concerns. The "big three" in cart batteries are: Trojan, US Battery & Crown.
meimk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:27 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhider View Post
So a quick search at Batteries+ They have Duracell and Crown in stock.

DC 230ah $130
DC 215ah $98
Crown 220ah $96

Would the 220ah be "okay"? Is it really worth $34 per battery for 10 more ah?
Personally, I'd go with the 220AH Crowns. It's only about 2 months less in lifespan and the lower price more than offsets that. Also about 2% less range, but that depends on what you use the cart for.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:36 PM   #10
rhider
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Personally, I'd go with the 220AH Crowns. It's only about 2 months less in lifespan and the lower price more than offsets that. Also about 2% less range, but that depends on what you use the cart for.
Got me those Crown batteries with a 10% discount for ordering online and pick up in the store today. Runs GREAT! Thanks for all the advise JonnieB!

Tags
battery, charger, ezgo, western
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO