lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2021, 04:57 PM   #1
GolfinDoc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2002 ds IQ won't go but has solenoid click.

02 48V ds IQ ( fnr rocker switch)
My kids were riding the cart a few weeks ago and it died shortly after leaving our house. They said the cart was acting strange and seemed to strain to get to the end of the driveway before it died completely. The cart has new batteries and a new charger so we knew it wasn't a charging issue. Upon inspection there was a wire loose at the motor (the terminal on the left if looking at it from the front of the motor). The motor terminal is severely corroded and the prior owner had used a hose clamp to force the wire on the terminal. I replaced the hose clamp with a proper ring-style connector and connected that to the terminal as best I could. (I will try to post a picture later). While the cart was up on jack stands I tested the new connection and when the pedal was pressed the wheels spun so I was satisfied that the fix worked.
Unfortunately, now when you press the go pedal, the solenoid clicks and you can feel the cart begin to move, but it won't actually go anywhere. In both forward and reverse, there is a click from the solenoid and a "pull" to the rear, but the cart won't actually move.
The cart rolls fine without the pedal pressed, so I know it is not an issue with over-tightened brakes restricting the wheel or any other kind of mechanical binding like that. This leads me to think that the issue is likely with the controller, but my mechanic skills are generally limited to things with gas tanks and I admit that I am a bit out of my element here.
Where should I go from here?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
GolfinDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2021, 08:59 PM   #2
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2002 ds IQ won't go but has solenoid click.

My guess is that there is still something wrong with the motor. Connect your ohmmeter between A1 & A2 you should read low ohms in the range of 1 to 2 ohms. Next measure between F1 & F2. You should get the same results. Then measure between each terminal and the case, you shouldn't have any reading. Theory is if the solenoid is closing that means the controller is telling the cart to run. And it has to be the motor, solenoid or cables. Another theory is you may have shorted the controller if you didn't disconnect the battery when you repaired the cable. Do you remember making any sparks?
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:57 PM   #3
GolfinDoc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
Another theory is you may have shorted the controller if you didn't disconnect the battery when you repaired the cable. Do you remember making any sparks?
I disconnected the batteries while I was fixing the cable, but then after I reconnected the batteries I dropped a wrench while replacing the access panel and it hit the two posts on the motor making a pretty good spark. Does that mean I killed the controller?

Old 03-27-2021, 07:00 PM   #4
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:04 PM   #5
GolfinDoc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yikes! That was not what I was hoping to hear. So, my next question would be recommendations for a new controller. I have no interest in trying to speed up the cart or in making it off-road capable, so what is the best (preferably cheapest) choice for a new controller?

Old 03-30-2021, 09:20 AM   #6
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfinDoc View Post
Yikes! That was not what I was hoping to hear. So, my next question would be recommendations for a new controller. ...
What is the model no. of your OEM controller?
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:07 AM   #7
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Before you replace the controller check the brushes in the motor.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car