lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2021, 06:10 PM   #1
E-Z-come
Not Yet Wild

Default Hello all new here, how fast should my 1994 marathon go on inclines?

Hi guys,

I recently bought a pretty well taken care of 94 marathon. I put 5 new batts in as I was told that they ( local cart shop selling on consignment for a 90 yo gal) had put 1 new batt in to sell also appears they put new cables on. Everything worked aside from the backup buzzer upon delivery. I tore it all apart and clean the cart up real well. Ended up solidifying rusty batt tray with a homemade cradle and POR15’d it. Batteries are all charged up according to the charts all over this site. I played 18 the other day and all was fine. I did however realize this old girl is a dog ( unless of course I’m going downhill) which at that point it becomes borderline dangerous lol. Question is: is there an issue I should look for or is this just par for the course;) for an old 94 36v elect ezgo? Thanks for any and all replies. Looks like a nice place around here and thanks for having me.
E-Z-come is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2021, 07:02 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Hello all new here, how fast should my 1994 marathon go on inclines?

Welcome to BGW!

A stock 94 Marathon has a top speed of about 12MPH and and all carts slow down on inclines. A series drive, like your cart has, slows more then sepex drives and AC drives.

New batteries only have about 75% of their rated storage capacity until they're broken in, so performance on inclines might improve a little after the first couple dozen charge cycles. Also, it is still a bit on the cool side and batteries work better in warmer weather, so some improvement may be noted during the summer months.

Dragging brake shoes and stiff bearings and underinflated tires will slow cart more on inclines.

Get yourself a DMM (Digital Multi Meter) and some clip leads and measure the battery pack voltage while running at top speed on level pavement with pedal on floor. Note the lowest it drops to. Then connect the voltmeter between the controller's M- and B+ terminals and measure the voltage driving over the same stretch of road with pedal on floor. The two voltages ought to be close to the same value.

Also do same two measurement on an incline.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:15 PM   #3
E-Z-come
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Hello all new here, how fast should my 1994 marathon go on inclines?

Thank you for the reply and for the greeting.

Can I attach the meter to the charging port? Any tips for bearing care and also should I or do I need to check or replace any fluid in the rear end? I plan to replace the brakes soon. The cart has a slight high pitched hum to it when moving but I assumed that may just be a normal trait of a cart that age. Again thank you. For your help
Old 05-15-2021, 07:47 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The charging port would work, but a direct connection to the main positive and main negative battery terminals would be best.

The differential oil should be changed every 5 years or so. I use 75W-90 gear oil in mine.

The cart is 27 years old, so I suspect the bearings aren't in very good health, unless they have already been replaced. However, jacking up the front and spinning the front wheels might give you a guesstimate of what shape the rest of the bearings are in.
Old 05-16-2021, 02:23 PM   #5
E-Z-come
Not Yet Wild

I completed the tests above. Pack voltage was 38.4ish. While driving it dropped to about 35.5 at the lowest. It stayed pretty consistently at right around 36. B+ to M- reading matched up.

Watching the voltage on b to m I saw it ascend and descend as the pedal was traveling. Would that make it safe to assume the pot sw. and controller are doing their thing?

I also checked top speed with a gps speedo and was right at 12mph. All this being said would lead me to believe the cart is in tip top shape, system wise. Are my assumptions correct?
Thanks
Old 05-16-2021, 03:32 PM   #6
PeterHS
Not Yet Wild

I will be posting details on an upgrade of a 1993 Western based on the Marathon fairly soon. It was dog slow - easily overtaken going up slight hills by grannies on bicycles…. Embarrassing…. The upgrade included a full strip down, 48 volt upgrades, every cable ripped and replaced, new Alltrax controller, new solenoid, new motor (from Scotty) and a lot more. Wheels replaced but still stock size - no lift done Now 32 mph on those slight hills, 25 mph on steeper hills. Lost a couple of miles an hour when I put the roof and screen back on. (Aerodynamics of a brick). But can still easily break the speed limit in our gated community. Takes off like a rocket. I can now overtake other carts going up hills…. Never been able to do that before…. Was it worth the time and effort! Absolutely, and thanks to Scotty and Johnnie - their advice and guidance on this forum is invaluable.
PeterHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:58 PM   #7
E-Z-come
Not Yet Wild

Sounds cool man. How much $ you think you have in it?
Old 05-16-2021, 03:59 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Z-come View Post
I completed the tests above. Pack voltage was 38.4ish. While driving it dropped to about 35.5 at the lowest. It stayed pretty consistently at right around 36. B+ to M- reading matched up.

Watching the voltage on b to m I saw it ascend and descend as the pedal was traveling. Would that make it safe to assume the pot sw. and controller are doing their thing?

I also checked top speed with a gps speedo and was right at 12mph. All this being said would lead me to believe the cart is in tip top shape, system wise. Are my assumptions correct?
Thanks
Your assumptions are correct, or at least close to it. Sounds like you got a good one.

As PeterHS mentioned, the speed and hill climbing abilities can be improved.
Old 05-16-2021, 04:04 PM   #9
E-Z-come
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys. If I can figure out how to post pics on here. I’ll show you guys the cart
Old 05-16-2021, 04:29 PM   #10
E-Z-come
Not Yet Wild

can I ask some follow up questions about brakes and rear end here or should I create a new thread?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO