lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2009, 08:44 PM   #21
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: Will this 12V boost theory work

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
they were selling kits on E-Bay a whiles back that was similar to what your wanting to do and what it did was give you a short burst of speed but it also did some nice motor damage as well if i remember right...............i would put that one in the scrap book and when the gran kids are on your lap you can say hey kids i alm,ost did that years ago..............................lolol............ ....i would leave well enough alone......................................
Your talking about a shunt. Thats not what this is.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2009, 08:46 PM   #22
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordlawn View Post
Ok on Roady's design--heres a back to electronics101 question. The motor running on 2 parallel packs of 36 Volts...not getting any more speed than if running on one pack right? But you get tons more torque and power out of the motor on 2 parallel packs, am I correct in this thinking?? The extra speed(rpm's) comes from the extra voltage(72V in series) which would give the increase in speed. Do I have this right????
The motor is only going to use what it NEEDS. You can have the biggest 36 volt pack in the world and your torque is still going to be limited to what the motor can use.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:47 PM   #23
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
Would this work? Instead of using a solenoid, take the last position of the v-glide and run it through that extra battery which would connect directly to the motor. The high speed boost would always be 100% though at full throttle.

Hey, I didn't want to be left out without a drawing either!
No.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:49 PM   #24
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordlawn View Post
Sounds like a feasible idea but I'm not sure I would want that extra voltage there at all times. That was a very good solution though. I would like it for passing other people and coming out of the cart path tunnels and going up the hills. I did some research on the solenoids and found they are available. Called a 6 terminal, 48V and white rogers makes one, but here's the question on that.

In reality, not on paper and specs., do you think these white rogers HD solenoids can handle the extra voltage across the contact area for short periods, and keep the switching/activation circuit hooked to the 48V pack

Is there a better recommended solenoid.

White rodgers MIGHT handle the extra power just fine. Theres no way to know for sure....some will, some won't. A Czonka relay is what I use. Break 2000 Amp, 900 volts. Smaller than a white rodgers.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #25
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

If the last lead coming from the VGlide in essence goes directly to the motor, then why couldn't it go to another F&R switch first, (used for direction of power,) with one side going to the motor as originally intended and the other going to an additional battery, with it's own cable also going to the motor?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boostdrawing2.jpg (72.7 KB, 21 views)
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:11 PM   #26
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Where at in the diagram is the 12 volts placed in series with the others? It's not. Seems to me all that is going on is you are adding 12 volts to the system but by way of addition Amp hours not voltage. (If it doesn't burn something up) Heck man, give it a whirl, let us know how it goes.

LATER! Gotta bon fire goin!
Old 06-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #27
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
Would this work? Instead of using a solenoid, take the last position of the v-glide and run it through that extra battery which would connect directly to the motor. The high speed boost would always be 100% though at full throttle.

Hey, I didn't want to be left out without a drawing either!
After trying to figure out why this wouldn't work I think I have one reason. One reason is the problem is in the VGlide. The contact foot can and does at times touch 2 of the terminals for different speeds simultaneously. If it were to be between full speed and the next one lower which is hooked to a coil, I think some problem may arise here, seems like it would cause a backfeed of some serious voltage.
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:25 PM   #28
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
Where at in the diagram is the 12 volts placed in series with the others? It's not. Seems to me all that is going on is you are adding 12 volts to the system but by way of addition Amp hours not voltage. (If it doesn't burn something up) Heck man, give it a whirl, let us know how it goes.

LATER! Gotta bon fire goin!
Sorry Roady but it would be in series once the extra f&r switch is moved to it's position. But Ox's explanation makes sense as to why it might cause problems, VGlide contacts touching at the same time. Again I was asking a question, not telling or trying to being a smart @ss. Enjoy your night!
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:27 PM   #29
roady89
nimda
Club Car

I plan on it. I would have a better night if you would try that and let us know how it went.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:40 PM   #30
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

So after taking everything into consideration, I am leaning towards one idea, but Im still open to suggestions. Seeing how I want the extra power on demand, I would like to install a floor mounted push button activation(horn button??) and then use the 6 termnial solenoid which would cut the one cable from the end resistor stud to motor, and at the same time activate the new cable with the 12V battery inline from end resistor stud to motor. SOUND FEASABLE???

Would this require the use of diodes anywhere, I dont see where it would. How about resistors across both sets of studs, to help save the solenoid contacts, or would these burn up from feedback voltage available?

basically something like this : this has the batteries in series when activated, just a VGlide inbetween
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car