lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2021, 12:58 PM   #1
jasonty
Not Yet Wild

Default RXV motor & brake problems

Hey guys, I'm having an issue with my 2015 RXV after a motor replacement, here's what happened:
We were driving, then stopped for a minute, I pushed on the accelerator and the cart started shuttering really hard. I smelled something burning, and the motor was much hotter than I thought it should be, but I didn't get an infrared temp reading. I put the cart in tow mode, and my wife towed me home. The braking still worked while in tow mode. I got the cart home, let it cool down for a while, and attempted to drive it again. It drove and stopped fine, with no issues. I didn't want to get stranded on a country road a few miles from my house again, so I figured that the motor must have gotten too hot and maybe the coating on the windings inside burned. I had also been hearing an intermittent bearing noise, so I thought one of the motor bearings may have been going out.

I ordered a new factory motor 671143 and installed it. The new motor didn't have the same connectors as the original motor, but it included a retrofit harness 672067 to make the connections. I hooked everything up, installed the old motor brake on the new motor, and now the cart won't travel FWD or REV.

When I turn the key to the on position, the cart does some kind of motor self check as it did with the old motor. When I turn the key switch to the REV position, the reverse buzzer comes on, but the solenoid doesn't engage when I press the accelerator pedal. Same with FWD. I have a RoyPow lithium battery pack, and it is reading 53v. I am not getting any power to the motor brake at all. I checked both brake switches for proper operation per an RXV troubleshooting guide I found, and they are operating properly. The motor brake now will not disengage when in tow mode, or when I use the emergency tow procedure with the plugs under the tow switch cover. I only see 1 10 amp fuse that is mounted to the tow cover, and that fuse is good.

Anybody have any ideas of what I should check next? I haven't tried reinstalling the old motor to see if it starts working without the retrofit harness that I had to use for the new motor.
jasonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-21-2021, 01:31 PM   #2
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV motor & brake problems

Is the new speed sensor installed correctly?
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:42 PM   #3
jasonty
Not Yet Wild

I believe so. I popped it in the mounting hole and secured the bolt that holds it in place. Is there a different procedure for installing that?
Old 10-21-2021, 02:11 PM   #4
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Another member had the same replacement motor and the speed sensor connector won't fit to the harness ( round / flat pins ). Thats why i've ask. And wondering about a blown motor after 6 years, that induction motor could last forever...
Old 10-21-2021, 02:24 PM   #5
jasonty
Not Yet Wild

Oh, I gotcha. No, this one plugged in fine. I should also include that the Curtis controller on this cart has been upgraded at some point. The cart goes around 31mph. But when this issue occurred, we had been traveling less than 5mph.

I bought a diagnostic tool off of Amazon, and it shows these present errors:

1206AC-5201
HPD/Sequencing Fault
Motor Temp Sensor Fault
EM Brake Coil Missing

Does that help?
Old 10-21-2021, 02:40 PM   #6
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just remember, the other cart was a Danaher not Curtis, so it's different. Unfortunately i'm not a Curtis expert, but some others here should have an idea for troubleshooting.
Old 10-21-2021, 03:41 PM   #7
jasonty
Not Yet Wild

I figured it out. I had the retrofit harness plugged in wrong. Ha! I'll report back if the replacement motor doesn't solve the other issue.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO