lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-01-2022, 02:19 PM   #1
cclocke
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Anyone go rear shockless?

I'm in the process of installing an SGC 6" A-Arm lift kit on my '97 electric club car DS, and while removing one of the lower shock nuts, part of the shock bolt came off with it.

I was going to purchase a replacement pair online, but I've been reading that if you install HD rear leaf springs, rear shocks aren't really necessary. I recently installed a rear seat kit for my kids, so I was considering purchasing HD springs to begin with, but now I'm wondering if I can kill two birds with one stone with just the springs.

Anyone have experience going shockless?
cclocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-01-2022, 05:25 PM   #2
Cavediver86
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Anyone go rear shockless?

On my old EZ-GO I removed the shocks after a week of having my 4 leaf HD springs installed. Couldn't tell a difference. Cart will beat you to death if you are not on smooth ground.

My CC has a set of 3leaf HDs ready to go on but gonna wait for the lift kit to install them. Will remove the shocks this time as well.

If you aren't experienced with the off road ride of HD leafs you are in for a rough ride
Cavediver86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:15 PM   #3
Nicko773
Not Yet Wild

I built and ran a 97 DS with HD springs in the rear. At first I had only 1 shock because of the Navitas motor length then just removed the other shock to see. Ran it for months, could not tell the difference. The ride is definitely stiffer with the HD leafs, but there was no bouncing that a shock would assist.
Nicko773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:40 AM   #4
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

Could not reattach shocks after installing dual action leaf springs on a 98 DS. No problem, rides just fine.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 12:35 PM   #5
cclocke
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Good to know, I'm going to go without shocks and add later if needed.

I'm looking at the three leaf springs and also looking at dual action springs, but at least physically they look to be the exact same product. Are they the same thing, or is there something that I'm missing?
Old 02-02-2022, 12:40 PM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Lots of carts are going without rear shocks. Some never had them to begin with.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 02:21 PM   #7
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclocke View Post
Good to know, I'm going to go without shocks and add later if needed.

I'm looking at the three leaf springs and also looking at dual action springs, but at least physically they look to be the exact same product. Are they the same thing, or is there something that I'm missing?
Dual Action and Heavy Duty are not the same. Dual Action increase resistance as load is increased. At least that's the theory.

DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 02:42 PM   #8
cclocke
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMJ View Post
Dual Action and Heavy Duty are not the same. Dual Action increase resistance as load is increased. At least that's the theory.

Thanks, I understand the theory, I'm just questioning if there is any practical difference between the below springs (links from site sponsor).

https://jasonsgolfcarts.com/product/...af-spring-kit/

https://jasonsgolfcarts.com/product/...af-spring-kit/
Old 02-02-2022, 06:49 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The way they describe them it sounds like the SPN-2032 spring is a dual action spring. It will have a softer ride with standard weight, but will stiffen up once the cart is loaded.

The others appear to be the typical heavy duty spring which are ride rough all the time kinda stiff.

As per the question about shocks.
I've got one cart with heavy duty springs and no rear shocks and I can't tell the difference.
If you think you may want or need rear shocks to go with the lift there is a set of monroe shocks that are slightly longer that people like for lifted carts. The number is posted around here somewhere.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:59 PM   #10
cclocke
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
The way they describe them it sounds like the SPN-2032 spring is a dual action spring. It will have a softer ride with standard weight, but will stiffen up once the cart is loaded.

The others appear to be the typical heavy duty spring which are ride rough all the time kinda stiff.

As per the question about shocks.
I've got one cart with heavy duty springs and no rear shocks and I can't tell the difference.
If you think you may want or need rear shocks to go with the lift there is a set of monroe shocks that are slightly longer that people like for lifted carts. The number is posted around here somewhere.
Thanks for all of the info. I'm going to go without shocks but I'll look into the Monroe's if I feel like I need shocks.

I've spent too much time comparing springs,, but maybe this will help someone. What I've realized is that the three leaf models are product # SPN-1008 and the dual action are # SPN-2032, as you mentioned. The smallest spring on the 1008 does look slightly smaller than the 2032, so that may make some difference, how much I have no idea.

My gut tells me they are pretty similar, and the four leaf versions are the ones with the real stiff suspension.

That all being said, a handful of the springs on Amazon that are listed as dual action are actually the 1008 model, so just be aware of that.

Personally I found a used very good 1008 model for $49 on Amazon and going to stick with that.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car