lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2022, 11:46 AM   #1
Cavediver86
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Best way to cut rear leaf spring bolts off 96 CC DS electric. Sawzall or multitool or

Can you imagine my 25 year old cart front bolts (ones closer to batteries) will not come loose and the rears wont come out even though the nuts came off.

Read a few people used a Sawzall but seems tough to get the front ones. Would a multi tool work better or something else?

Broke 2 adapters. PB Blaster not working. Breaker bar won't break. 18v impact drill is child's play. Ready to cut!
Cavediver86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-03-2022, 12:22 PM   #2
EuGene Terenzio
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Best way to cut rear leaf spring bolts off 96 CC DS electric. Sawzall or multitoo

Best stuff to loosen rusted bolts Fluid Film in a red and gray can, 10 times better than blaster and W D 40!
!
EuGene Terenzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 01:00 PM   #3
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: Best way to cut rear leaf spring bolts off 96 CC DS electric. Sawzall or multitoo

The bolts go through a metal sleeve that the bushing rides on, Even if you get them to turn they will probably just be turning the sleeve and make no headway anyway.
I use a 4 1/2" cutting wheel on my right angle grinder and go up between the spring eye and frame flange.
You will cut through the bolt and sleeve but sleeves come with the bushing kit.
Just need to replace the 3/8-16 bolts and nylocs.

If you have the batteries out throw down some moving blankets and lay your cart on it's side, do one corner at a time to keep everything in place.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 01:04 PM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

And while you are at it, take a look at your pivot bolts for your brake and throttle pedals, they might need to be serviced as well before they freeze up if they haven't already.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 03:22 PM   #5
Cavediver86
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash12888 View Post
And while you are at it, take a look at your pivot bolts for your brake and throttle pedals, they might need to be serviced as well before they freeze up if they haven't already.
Wait what? Do the pedals become inoperable or just can't get the bolts out?

As for turning the cart on its side did you do anything special with the axle?

Thank you for the idea and info
Old 02-03-2022, 09:36 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Agree with crash. I use a whizzy wheel and slice them right off. Cut inside the bracket though, usually the sleeve is rusted to the bolt so if you just cut the head of the bolt off it’s still stuck. Ask me how I learned
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 09:44 PM   #7
Usernameusernameusername
Not Yet Wild

Usually can get stuff like that apart if apply daily, my mixture of equal parts, mineral spirits, kerosene, acetone, and atf for a week.
Bleeder screws in some 1959 Alfa calipers had to be the worst, got ‘em out with that.

There used to be a product named Maltby’s that was about the same thing, works great. Only place that had it the last I checked was in Toyota dealers, renamed as their product.
Usernameusernameusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 09:59 PM   #8
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

Takes too much time. Firewrench and its done in a couple minutes.
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 08:14 AM   #9
Cavediver86
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Agree with crash. I use a whizzy wheel and slice them right off. Cut inside the bracket though, usually the sleeve is rusted to the bolt so if you just cut the head of the bolt off it’s still stuck. Ask me how I learned
I used a Sawzall on 1 or 2 bolts on my ezgo but my CC seems harder to reach. I'll use my cut off wheel today and give her hell. Wish I had a lift
Old 02-04-2022, 09:33 AM   #10
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I've done more of those than I can count. Yes, the front eye of the rear springs is always the worst. The first few, I did the hard way: Burned out the rubber with a propane torch, used a skinny set of vice grips to grab the metal sleeve, lots of penetrating oil and eventually got the bolts out. Took WAY too much time & effort. Now if they stick at all, I just cut them out with the angle grinder and replace the bolts.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car