lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-20-2022, 09:15 PM   #1
waywardson
Not Yet Wild

Default My first EZGO not running

Bought my first golf cart a couple of days ago from a gentlemen that had it as a project golf cart. He replaced the 6-6v batteries with 3-12v batteries (which he claims are golf cart 12v batteries). He also directly wired a battery charger to the 3 batteries which has 3 direct charging cords so each battery charges independently. However the cart wont move, both headlights do not turn on and only one brake light works. He said he tested the motor and it spins and he says he replaced the solenoid. I do not have much experience in dealing with electrical systems so I am at a complete lose. However after following the wires it appears that the original charger on the cart is still wired in ( not sure if that matters). Also note when he turned the switch on Friday to show me there was a spark from the solenoid that is attached to the controller. From what I tell the unit is in great condition just unsure of there the disconnect is or how to find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Its a '97 model 4 seater. Manufactor code F0696

Last edited by waywardson; 02-20-2022 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: adding unit info
waywardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-21-2022, 06:25 AM   #2
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: My first EZGO not running

It sounds like you bought a real cobbled up mess. First off the 3-12 volt batteries were a mistake since they won't give you much range. I would check the model numbers of the batteries to make sure they are golf cart batteries because automotive type batteries don't work well in a golf cart. The fact that you have 3 independent chargers for the 3 batteries tells me that they won't equalize very well. I would find an OEM 36 volt charger. The next thing I would do is get a schematic for your cart and see what else is not wired right. Then I would get a good voltmeter and start checking everything. Make sure all connections are tight.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 11:45 AM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My father in law has a big 3-in-1 charger for the three 12v batteries on his boat. It charges those batteries very well and they're all fully charged after it's gong through a cycle. So the charger may be OK.

The part that concerns me is the cobbled mess and the spark. Best case scenario, the spark indicates a loose cable. Worst case scenario it has a short.

What is the voltage of each battery? If it has a short it could be all your batteries are sitting at 2v instead of 12v each.

Oh, and I completely agree with Capt. Lenny, if those are indeed Golf Cart 12v batteries they will still have less range than six 6v Golf Cart batteries. If they are 12v marine deep cycle it's even worse. If they are 12v car batteries it's even worse.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 01:01 PM   #4
waywardson
Not Yet Wild

Thank you both of you. I will run the serial number on the batteries. I am not worried about the range per say as I bought it to just drive around the neighbor hood. I charged them last night and there did not seem to be an issue with the charging. Like I said each battery is hard wired directly into its own port so they change individually. I already have a handheld meter I use to check outlets and such around the house so that should work to OEM out the connections. I will swing by an auto parts place to get a meter for the batteries to check them out.

I pulled up what i believe to be the owners manual from EZGO and basically just run it all down. My only concern is will it effect the unit if the original charging port is still wired in?
Old 02-21-2022, 01:20 PM   #5
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

So, do you have 3 individual battery chargers for the 3 batteries or is it a 3 bank charger like bronsonj said? No, it doesn't matter if the old charging port is still wired in. If you have an onboard charger the I would disconnect it and see what happens. I would start by checking voltages from the battery bank forward. There are several microswitches which can cause problems.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 04:14 PM   #6
waywardson
Not Yet Wild

It is a 3 bank charger
Old 02-21-2022, 04:23 PM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I’m guessing series cart so here is the diagram
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E30C8566-3093-4D83-8321-C699C7AEFC9E.jpeg (127.6 KB, 0 views)
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 09:06 AM   #8
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

sidebar:
Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardson View Post
I am not worried about the range per say as I bought it to just drive around the neighbor hood.
I should clarify. The reduced range will also mean a reduced lifespan depending on how the cart is used. Imagine a full size battery pack can get you 40 miles of range when new and maybe your pack can get 25 miles. You don't need to go 25 miles so it should be good, right? Makes sense but it's not the whole story.

Lead acid batteries average State Of Charge (SOC) determines in large part how quickly it ages. If the SOC is low then the batteries age quicker. If the pack is normally fully charged and maintains a relatively high SOC then they live longer, all other things being equal.

(This is a dramatic simplification...) If you travel 12.5 miles in a day, well below your 25 mile theoretical range, but that puts you at a 50% SOC compared to a 40 mile pack will have 68.75% SOC. In both cases when you get home you charge your pack, but the smaller pack will have a lower average SOC and age a little more than the bigger pack. So it will have a shorter lifespan. If you let the cart sit 3 days before charging it will have a much bigger impact on lifespan.

As such, you'll want to charge your pack any day that you use your cart. If your cart sits idle for a week or two, charge it. And check the water frequently, especially when the pack is only a few months old. That'll help your pack live longer.

If you go away for a month and the inlaws watch your house and use your cart they may not charge it. If it sits in a partially discharged state then it will markedly decrease the life of your battery pack. How much can be guessed by how discharged the batteries are. They think the cart is fine, it's a 36v cart and the pack is 36.0v but at 36.0 you are below 50% SOC and don't want to let the cart sit like that any longer than you have to. 36.3v is 50% and that's the normal minim voltage you'll want.

To see your state of charge when you stop your cart let it sit for an hour and compare the battery V to a SOC chart to see where you are at. That'll give you a rough idea. For an accurate SOC you need to let it sit for 12 or so hours although most the battery recovery happens in the first hour.

--- Edit: ---
Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardson View Post
My only concern is will it effect the unit if the original charging port is still wired in?
If it's wired in properly it's not a problem. If it were a problem it'd be a dramatic problem and you could easily identify where the issue is by the smoking cables! But in all seriousness no, it's not an issue to have that port still wired in.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 03:40 PM   #9
Matrokn
Not Yet Wild

Having issues with my ezgo txt not going forward but goes into reverse just fine all connections are tight. Power is all there, did notice when I go into reverse the solenoid has power between the two middle terminals but when I put it in drive I don’t have any power going to the middle terminals, have replaced solenoid with same results
Matrokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 05:33 PM   #10
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

Matrokn you should start a new thread with your problem you'll probably get more help.
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO