lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2022, 06:52 PM   #1
rickaroonie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Alltrax not powering up

Installing a new xct48dcs and it will not power up. I have pack voltage 38v on pin #10, and the interlock signal is present from the brand new on board summit 2 charger. But Pin #9 only has 20 volts so I only end up with 20 volts going thru the switches and back to the solenoid, and the LED never comes on. I Have not hooked it up to my computer yet. Any Ideas What to look for.
rickaroonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2022, 11:04 PM   #2
rickaroonie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Alltrax not powering up

I believe I have figured it out. Studying Wiring diagrams and Lester manuals. It seems that the voltage on pin #9 comes from the interlock signal, meaning the 20v is coming from my charger, Not my controller. I believe I was delivered a charger that is "CAN BUS enabled". So My "Interlock" voltage is off because the charger is not designed to deliver pack voltage off of that terminal. The instruction sheet that came in the box clearly instructed for interlock wiring. I hope the mis-wire did not hurt my charger. So, Tomorrow I will remove that wire from the charger and jump it to a "Pack" positive to prove my theory. If I am correct, that will tell the controller that the interlock is off. It will leave me with a cart that can move when the charger is plugged up. But, when I USB my computer to the controller, there is a setting that allows you to disable the controller at a max voltage. So for my 36v cart I will set it at 40v, Therefore, if the charger is charging above that voltage the controller will disable. Not a perfect solution, but acceptable.
If I am wrong about this I will update this thread. If I do not reply, this was the fix.
Old 03-14-2022, 10:48 AM   #3
rickaroonie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I will update this just incase someone has this issue in the future. I was correct in that the voltage from the charger for Interlock, which is actually the voltage that goes to the F&R and the Key and back to pin #9, was the problem. It is only about 20v -24v. A simple jumper from B+ to that circuit powered the alltrax, and got the wheels to spin. I was wrong however in that the charger I have is not CAN BUS enabled on that terminal #2. An Email from Lester explained that the 20v is the design of the charger. Therefor if I want to use the Interlock feature I have to buy a relay and install it. So I have ordered a 24VDC SPDT Relay. And I believe this will be the final word on the issue.
Old 04-14-2022, 01:18 PM   #4
jdallen72
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Was the relay the final fix for the lockout issue and if so do you have a diagram of where you installed the relay? I have the same issue with my Alltrax XCT400DCS not powering up if I disconnect the reed switch wire from my charger port. Moving Lester Summit II to on-board charging and getting rid of EZGO charging port.
jdallen72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 08:41 AM   #5
rickaroonie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallen72 View Post
Was the relay the final fix for the lockout issue and if so do you have a diagram of where you installed the relay? I have the same issue with my Alltrax XCT400DCS not powering up if I disconnect the reed switch wire from my charger port. Moving Lester Summit II to on-board charging and getting rid of EZGO charging port.
My Apologies, I should have made one last post after I finished with the project.
In short, No, The relay did nothing. Reason as far as I can tell is there is an internal resistor in the Summit 2 interlock circuit. So When not charging it has a 20v DC "signal" Voltage present at terminal #2, But as soon as you apply that to the positive side of a relay coil and a B- to the negative side of said relay coil, the voltage disappears, and the relay does nothing, because of the resistor in the summit is my understanding. So I undid that wiring, and permanently jumped a B+ from the battery side of my solenoid to the little red wire that used to be in the charging socket with a reed switch(reed switch removed) in line, and that powers up the circuit through the key, F&R, and back to the controller to power it up.
And to address the Interlock issue, (because Im OCD), IF you download the Alltrax tool kit on a PC, and connect to your controller via a printer type usb cable, there is a setting that disables the cart at preset high and low voltages. My project is a 36v pack, and the charger runs around 42 to 45 volts at its highest, so I set it at about 40 or 41 volts If I remember correctly. Its not a Perfect Fix, but it is all I could come up with. A final Note. If you make sure to Flip the run Tow switch to tow anytime you plug her up, then you have effectively applied a fool proof, low tech, manual charging interlock.
I hope this helps.
Old 06-12-2022, 08:07 PM   #6
Eyball
Not Yet Wild

I am having this same issue and thanks for the post confirming what I thought as well. I wish there was a better solution though.
Eyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 05:54 AM   #7
rickaroonie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyball View Post
I am having this same issue and thanks for the post confirming what I thought as well. I wish there was a better solution though.
Ah, Once you get past it, and start using your buggy you will forget all about the interlock. I don't leave the key in it unless Im going somewhere, so I dont foresee having an issue. But, If a man was dead set on having a good charger interlock, He could put a relay under there that has a 120v AC coil and a set of normally closed contacts. It would be labeled as SPDT or DPDT. then wire the coil in parallel with the line side of the charger, then use the Normally closed contacts as a "reed switch" to wire your key circuit through. Then When ever you apply 120v to the charger, the coil will activate and open the circuit. Walla.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO