lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-25-2022, 05:31 PM   #1
mathemagician44
Not Yet Wild

Default 1987 EZGO Airport Shuttle/Limo Frame-off Wishful Rebuild (pics)

1987 EZGO 6-seater shuttle. (I believe this is a Marathon?, series cart?)

Several years ago I upgraded to the Alltrax 48400 controller, 400 solenoid, F-n-R switch, Admiral B1 motor, and all new wiring. Once I got it running, the 12-volt system was an afterthought that was sloppily thrown together and was unreliable. I had been planning to take the body off and do it right for years. It could use new batteries, so today I decided to take the body off. This may be a slow rebuild that the wife with be unhappy with because I plan to move it to the front porch for the entirety of the build. I'll try to update as I go, and I am sure that I will need help. I can fix anything and do not know how to weld, yet. I bought a cheapie harbor freight welder and am willing to learn, but would like to weld as little as possible. I am confident that I have the capability to figure this all out, but I will be weak on terminology and I am sure that I will require a lot of trial and error.

The steering wheel and rod was rusted in place and what I will call the steering box broke when trying to remove it. Without having looked into it yet, would I call this a steering box when trying to find a new one? I also need to replace the complete steering rod and wheel. It would be really cool if I could find one in stainless or chrome.

As shown in the pics, the frame is in good condition with rust only to the non-structural battery compartment. I plan to remove the electronics, pressure wash, grind as little as necessary, and repaint the frame.

This thing can move pretty fast and the brakes are almost non-existent. I crushed the front bumper last summer when I parked ever so slightly off of parallel on a hill such that the emergency brake did not hold and it rolled downhill and hit a tree. I had adjusted the brake rods to help it somewhat several years ago, but they have since worsened considerably. It currently has drum brakes on the rear wheels only. I can rebuild the drums as needed, but I would prefer a two or four wheel disc brake kit if I can find one. The brake system will be a tough one for me I am sure, particularly if I can find a disc brake system, and that system is far from a change-out, bolt-on type scenario.

It always had a grinding noise in the rear axle when rolling (under power or not). Grinding noise isn't the right word, but it just could have been much quieter during operation. I am going to take the axle off and apart to see what I find.

I need to search around for a good 12 volt system to include brake lights, turn signals, and all typical and whatever fun accessories I can think of. Any recommendations there? I want to search around for some specific lights that will fit well in the pre-formed recesses in the fiberglass body. Chrome or metal finishes preferred.

Ultimately, I would like to install air bags or hydraulics so I can lower it when I park it. This may or may not happen depending money, but moreso dependent on the time and amount of welding that may be required. I can carry a whole lot of people and/or equipment down to the lake at times. I think I have had as many as 10 people/kids at once on several occasions. I really have no idea what is involved in hydraulics and have not studied enough to know which would work better with a 48 volt system, but I'll eventually get there, with suggestions from you all.

Finally, the fiberglass will be repaired and repainted as needed. It will be a home-completed paint job, but I know I can make that come out with acceptable quality. I will reupholster/pad the seats myself and am still trying to figure out my most efficient manner to add seats in the back while maintaining as much storage room as possible between the 2nd and 3rd seats. A storage bin, or perhaps a cooler, will be installed in the recess between those two seats. The ultimate goal is to have it look cool. Not a show vehicle, but something the wife will not make fun of anymore. I do not want it lifted with big tires like every cart that I park beside at the pool. This one is to intentional look sleek and different. If I could lower/slam it when parked, how could she not like it? Knowing how I typically work, I will probably only complete about 75% of this until I get it moving again, and then I will probably put the rest off until I intend to tear it down again in a few years. I hope not, but that is probably how it will be.

I have no idea what to expect on what to expect on cost, but I know it will not be cheap. If I get into a $3K+ range (without batteries) and still do not have at least a working cart then my wife is not going to be happy.

Which brings me to the batteries. A quick search through the forums seems to suggest that Lithium has gained a lot more traction in the forums since I got new batteries in 2017. I'll have to read up on the cost difference and pro/con list.

Any thoughts on process or links to equipment I need to buy would be great.
mathemagician44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2022, 01:17 AM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: 1987 EZGO Airport Shuttle/Limo Frame-off Wishful Rebuild (pics)

Nice
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 09:06 PM   #3
mathemagician44
Not Yet Wild

Had time to study it today. So if air bags are going to happen, I see now that they kind of have to happen first. Plus I can tell from internet tesearch last night that the broken steering box may become a huge problem. We’ll see.
I don’t know if my cart is standard or has been altered, but I only have a single shock in the front. Therefore, air bags will have to incorporate the leaf springs to maintain control, or the air bags are going to become to big of a problem to fool with.

Leak springs are already below the axle, so I could use spacers like typical. OR, what I am thinking that I should do if possible is to related my leaf spring a backwards. Then the first three leafs essentially just become spacers that are already cut and notched to fit. Then the top, longest, leaf can still attach to the axle and frame as needed to maintain control and provide some stability, but the leaf spring will be weak such that the air bag can essentially deform the leaf spring easier to achieve the high and lows of the airbag. This is only the front. I have not studied the back yet. One step at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2022, 04:21 PM   #4
mathemagician44
Not Yet Wild

Frame is bare and mostly painted

Good news is that the rear axle does does grind or Scrape. That was just surface rust on the drum brakes.

I plan to reorder the leaf springs to weaken them a bit and add 1” and 1.5” lowering blocks. The weakened leaf springs will hopefully provide a bit of support and help add diaphragm strength while still letting the air bags raise and lower it. I hope this all works. Zero luck with finding that steering housing yet, other than I may be able to find that it fit several old tractors too. I just cleaned it really well and found a couple numbers/stamps that will hopefully help me find it.

Focus is going to finding drum rebuild kits now.

Old 03-29-2022, 07:17 AM   #5
nasfd35
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Would it be possible to switch the steering to rack and pinion? That's what my 88 Marathon golf cart has.
nasfd35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 07:40 AM   #6
nasfd35
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

A parts cart?

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...errerid=205461
nasfd35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 08:36 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Looking good
I have this cart and a newer TXT version, both carts are traction challenged. I've considered lithium for my daily shuttle but the weight reduction worries me. It is obvious in the frame off pics that there is considerable weight cantilevered out front. I have cement block caps stacked in the rear of my TXT shuttle to improve traction. There things are low geared. Maybe some wider aggressive tires would help... with water in them - lol
My daily has a random D&D torque motor and 500 amp control in it.
The Marathon has the stock motor with a 400 control. Both carts are 48v.
8/6v adds traction and run time.
GL with the project.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 06:19 PM   #8
mathemagician44
Not Yet Wild

My wife would kick my butt if I added another golf cart to the driveway. Otherwise a parts car would be great to have.

Changing the steering system may be something I have to look into. It sounds like that may include a lot of custom fabrication, which I was hoping to keep to a minimum. If I can’t find my steering box housing, then I’ll have to go that route.

I’m regard to performance, with the ally tax controller, B1 motor, and 10” wheels I would get 17-19 mph on flat ground when the batteries were new. Cruising down hill would get up to 24 mph, give or take. The uphill was considerably slower. Seems like it was 9-11 mph. All per iPhone gps app.

So my cart has a different lug pattern than other golf carts. Standard is 4x4”. Mine is thereabouts of 4x 2.875 ( 2 and 7/8”, or approx 73mm). I have yet to find any golf cart wheels with this lug pattern. This means that my stock 10” wheels with their shallow of “reverse short” bell cannot accept any of the disc brake kits. So I guess I will simply rebuild the rear drums and go without any other brake upgrades for now. Giving the suspension modifications I want and the steering mods I need, I simply can’t throw this modification into the project right now. At first looks, I think I can make this modification to accept more standard lug pattern without taking it all apart sometime during the winter.

Not sure if many people are paying attention here. But I am going to log my problems or questions here anyway and one day this will help the next guy trying to figure out one of these old shuttles.

Old 03-29-2022, 06:53 PM   #9
Lochlin
Gone Wild

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=162368

Check out that link.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 06:59 PM   #10
cartdoc1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm following the thread. I love a good complete strip down restoration. Keep up the good work.
cartdoc1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO