lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2022, 05:20 PM   #1
rgs80074
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default ignition switch and electrical question

Hello everyone,

trying to do some work on my mothers 1991 ezgo 36volt marathon golf cart. the person she bought it from, well lets say it worked but things are just not really right on it.

The ignition switched was moved from the seat area on the cart to on the dash, which is fine makes more sense anyways but I am not sure the switch is the one that went to it or just taken off another scrapped cart or what, neither key given to her fits it right and they used speaker wire to wire up the switch to the motor, or whatever part its wired to, not sure if its a motor or some other like rely or switch.

want to replace the switch with this switch:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B8HTF5W...roduct_details

not sure what wires that on the one should be put to what terminals on it, saw a post somewhere but could not find it again and not sure how to tell since both of the wire currently are speaker wires. Did buy new wire of red and blue or white, think the place was out of black in 16 gauge wire but at the moment just trying to get the cart on the road again (other issue another post) before doing anything drastic to make sure nothing I do is an issue.

the other issue (once i know where the wires that go on the current one to this 4 pronged one) that only leave the other two spots available.

I want to connect the headlights to it (assuming they are not too strong, think they are like 120watt ones), and a usb charger port, below are links to the lights (i think as they sent the wrong ones, charger, and adapters), also the cart has some running lights in the back that are not connected to anything was wondering if I could splice them into one of the other accessories like the usb or lights and if there is a way to do that (i do have some basic wiring kit 18gauge to i think like 22gauge wiring, crimper, ends).

Just want to get the other stuff done before I mess with the wiring but if someone could tell me if 16 gauge wire is good for the one to replace the speaker wire that would be great, and how to splice in if possible the back running lights into the accessories so they are on when the key is on.

here are the links to some of the items I have bought

amazon.com/dp/B0891SRFMT?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

amazon.com/dp/B0776PY5JK?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-12000...ef_=ast_sto_dp

on that link they look like that only white instead of amber

Thanks,

Ryan
rgs80074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2022, 06:27 PM   #2
cartdoc1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: ignition switch and electrical question

That year should use just a two terminal key switch. I'll dig out my schematic to make sure.
cartdoc1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 02:29 PM   #3
rgs80074
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

But can it not be upgraded to a 4 terminal switch?

I mean by default or at least when she bought it It has no accessories connected to the switch.

Just ones connected I assume to the batteries somehow, not sure how since the wiring job was not very good and half of the wiring was ripped off cause it sat too low to the ground.

So was wanting to maybe by-pass as much wiring routing under the cart as possible and attach them to the new switch that was bought, said it was good for the cart.

I just don't know how to wire it up no real instructions on the 4 labeled terminals what should be what, like a b and b1, and then I think and L and a I. Which ones should the current wires be hooked too that's on the 2 terminal switch?

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 05-30-2022, 05:14 PM   #4
cartdoc1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

A typical resistor style cart will usually have the pack voltage feeding the key switch. You can have the extra accessory terminals on a switch but you would also be feeding those accessories that pack voltage. You can hook up a voltage reducer to the main pack terminals and use the key switch to turn the reducer on and off. Just make sure the reducer you get has a key switch input.
cartdoc1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:19 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Cartdoc is correct. All Marathons had a 2 terminal switch originally. A later 4 terminal switch (TXT) can be used but understand it is 2 separate 2 terminal switches in one.
There is a 36v input to the B terminal which outputs on the I terminal.
And a 12v input to B1 which outputs on the L terminal.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:33 AM   #6
rgs80074
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hello

I am slightly confused want to make sure I get this right (not worried about it this weekend I have other things to figure out first instead of adding other things to the mix that could confuse everything).

on the switch, one whats currently connected to the 2 terminal switch be placed on B and I? if so how do i know what ones to to which terminal or does it matter? I ask cause right now the cart switch is wired with the same color speaker wire. if it has to be specific whats the easiest and quickest way to figure that out?

and now forgive in ignorance but what is meant by a reducer? how would I know if the cart has one now or not?

I already have a 4 terminal switch to install when other things are corrected first. if on the accessories get connected to the switch they do not use power unless they are being used/on correct so its not like the head lights will draw any real power if they are not switched on with the switch correct?

Thanks again everyone for your input I am learning new stuff daily.

Ryan
Old 06-03-2022, 11:46 AM   #7
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs80074 View Post
and now forgive in ignorance but what is meant by a reducer? how would I know if the cart has one now or not?
Hey Ryan, a reducer (also called converter) will reduce the voltage provided to the voltage you need. Most lights available are 12v lights. If you run 36v to a 12v light it'll burn out immediately. The reducer takes the 36V power as input and converts it to 12v and you use the 12v power to run your lights. If you search for "Voltage Reducer" or "Voltage Converter" you will find what we're talking about.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 02:56 PM   #8
rgs80074
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

oh I see on the reducer,

i'll have to check and see if the cart has one

I had originally hooked up the lights as described somewhere can't recall where after i found out you can not hook up one cable to the positive and one to the negative to the same battery as the instructions indicated (due to not being a 12 volt system).

somewhere I saw that you hook up to the master positive and then the positive on the next battery to get that 12 volts.

one of the reasons to get the 4 terminal switch was in hopes of connecting the lights to the switch instead, is that not possible? I got some adapter ends to allow me to put two things on them and my theory was to attached the headlights and usb charger port to it,, maybe at some point try to figure out the back lights nothing to do with brakes just to have them on especially at night, but that wiring is a mess and not sure how it was ever wired up.

can I not hook the headlights up to the key switch? can I use the adpaters to hook up both the usb charger port and headlights to the keyswitch, maybe at some point also splice in the backlights?

and also on the 4 temrinal switch

the carts power would be on the B and I, does it matter how they are connected cause as I said I want to rewire that and get away from the speaker wire as time permits. but not sure how to tell which one should go where.

same thing with the other do does it matter which one goes to which spot?

i'll look into a reducer it all comes down to if i think I can install it and money, i've already fronted her a lot of money and don't have much more, i have some pictures already of the cart maybe it has a reducer already I don't know.

again this project it after the cart gets running again as i do not want to have anything i do be an issue confusing ongoing testing of other stuff.

and where can i downlead schematics for the 91 ezgo marathon cart?

thanks
Ryan
Old 06-05-2022, 12:49 AM   #9
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Regarding the lights being fed from the ignition switch, read ScottyB's explanation of how to wire it. You will need both pack voltage and a fused 12volts to the switch on the correct terminals, the cart is then fed pack voltage in position 2 and 3 and the lights fed 12 volts in position 3, this allows the cart to run in position 2 and the lights and cart in position 3. As Scotty says, it is two separate switches in one barrel working with just one key.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 07:53 AM   #10
rgs80074
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks when I get to the point of doing it I will check it out, I assume a search by name or something will reveal the scottyb's explanation.

Thanks,

Ryan

Tags
accessories, ignition switch
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO