lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2009, 10:04 AM   #21
bnall05
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EMP motors

If you leave it in high then would you need to get the HI/LOW switch?
How would it work without the switch?
bnall05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2009, 10:10 AM   #22
THOLLAND911
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

you eather wire it for speed or tourque and leave it that way if you were going to do that then they could build your motor for the way you want it. it would be cheaper that way
THOLLAND911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:16 AM   #23
roady89
nimda
Club Car

No, you wouldn't need the switch. It comes with a jumper wire already bolted on so the motor is ready to go out of the box. If you buy the switch at a later date you can use the jumper cable to manually make the different mode connections if you ever need to.

Yes, it might be cheaper to just buy a single mode motor. I bought one of each and there wasn't much, if any price difference. I don't know if thats the case for all of them.

The BEST thing to do is call them and explain to them what you want. Then they can build from there. You have to keep it realistic though. Your only going to get so much with a stock controller before you have to make upgrades. The ONLY thing I don't like about EMP is they don't do "High Voltage" applications...I needed a 144 volt motor built and they wouldn't touch it. I understand, thats just not their thing. There are others that do that kind of work.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:28 AM   #24
bnall05
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

With the new 2 speed motor EMP motor and I buy a new Alltrax 4855 controller how much EXTRA speed and torque can I expect?
Old 10-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #25
roady89
nimda
Club Car

From stock?....going from 36 to 48 volts alone is a 20-25% increase across the board. The motor and controller should give you at least that much more.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:39 PM   #26
fastflstc
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I am running 2 EMP motors one in my 2000 cart with 23"tires, 4855 Alltrax controller 42 volt setup with hd buss bars and 2 ought cables to batteries and motor. I am also running one they special built for my sons 83 marathon resistor cart. The resistor cart i am running without the 2 speed switch.
When I got the motor and put it in I thought it was great had all the power and torque they advertise, I do not use my cart very much mainly when I go camping, well after a while the motor fried and it was after the warranty was up. I called and they replaced it even though the warranty was up, again after a while another motor fried, always at an event when we came to have fun riding trails on golf carts. by then I got smart and started carrying my stock motor to swap out if anything happened. I would put the stock one in and go on throughout the weekend with no prob's. Again Andrea and Chuck replaced it (excellent customer service) Well 2 weeks ago yet another failure 300 miles from home and I did not carry the spare motor, but we were able to rent a cart to finish the weekend. I have sent 2 e-mails telling them the problem and cannot even get a response from them, I recommended them to a friend of mine and he has been thru 4 motors. The one in my sons cart is working great and I know he puts his thru way more than I do.
Bottom line, its like going to Advanced auto parts and buying a rebuilt starter with a lifetime warranty, they are great as long as you dont mind crawling under the car every 6 months to replace it.
It is enough to make me put the cart up for sale, I just want a new motor in it when I do.
I already have a Big cart under construction and pics will soon be up on the proper location
So buyer beware, just my $.02
Good luck
fastflstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:44 AM   #27
bnall05
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

fastflstc since I only have a 36 volt cart will I have the same issues as you did with your 42 volt system?
Old 10-19-2009, 08:43 PM   #28
fastflstc
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Bill, I would like to say no but I do not know and I say that because they told me that mine would work fine at 48 volts and after the first motor went i dropped to 42 volts and I am still popping motors.
I really do not want to say anything bad about them because they do have some good customer service and Chuck and Andrea are overly nice and helpful. I spoke with them today and we are trying to work out this latest fried motor so I will let you all know how it goes in a few days.
fastflstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:28 AM   #29
bnall05
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Please let me know fastflstc. I am getting ready to order a LR5.0.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:10 AM   #30
roady89
nimda
Club Car

I've had 3 EMP's on 48 volt and haven't had an issue at all, had them for years. There are many other users of EMP's motors and I have never heard of anything like this. Not saying it doesn't happen because it can happen to ANY motor stock or modified. I ran another on 144 volts and blew it....but that was due to misapplication on my part not any fault of EMP's.

Tags
too good to be true?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO