lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
mortimer
Getting Wild

Default motor swap questions

I have rebuilt my father in law's 86 club car and now have found another that has a blown engine. Same year and everything, '86 with the old kawasaki kf82 flathead. was curious as to what engine i could put in this thing and still use the clutches which are perfectly fine. The drive clutch actually looks fairly new. Came off easily and still has a shine to it. Crank end wasn't rusted and appeared to have neverseaze on it. I have seen the posts reguarding sleeves for the clutches. would like a bit more speed but am not going for anything radical. Not sure either how much the clutches would hinder a bigger motor either. I would not mind getting something close to what was in there, horsepower wise. Mainly wanted to find out what all this entails. What exactly what to look for in a motor. This one's has a cracked case and is froze. History. Body and everything else fine. Can someone fill me in on doing a swap? How hard this is? I realize the mounting would be different and would have to either drill new mount holes or make a new mounting plate. Are you able to use the original starter off the cart? I know our current campgroung won't allow hopped up carts but who would know if it started with the petal. Any good places to get an engine? I have looked a bit but am clueless as to what I would need other than a horizontal shaft.
mortimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: motor swap questions

You are looking at 700 to buy a rebuild with a good core engine or 2500 to to big block it.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Isn't an 86 the wrong rotation for a traditional swap?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

You have the correct year cart for any small engine to swap into that cart. I have a 90 and the flat head is a decent motor but if you have a bad one, I would rather invest in a different one. You can buy a honda style clone engine and use your stock clutch setup but I think you need a longer belt and that adapter for a straight shaft. I forgot the guys username but he only has about $500 in his 16hp clone swap. Or put an add in your local craigslist, news paper etc... and put looking for a small engine. I did that and have had hits on engines. Pull up the word clone in the search and readup on the swaps
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:57 PM   #5
LAJim
Not Yet Wild

I put a $261.00 13 hp Greyhound Harbor freight motor in my '87 club car.. New engine plate and a good bit of American Engineering, concerning throttle cable, wiring harness,different length belt, etc.. am extremely pleased with outcome.. still has stock tires and is QUICK off the line!!!! GREAT SWAP for real cheap..A much stronger motor than old side valve.. I wes able to use the 5 liter gas tank that comes onthe engine. and eliminate the remote gas tank and related fuel pump.. FUN< FUN< FUN!!!!!
LAJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:03 PM   #6
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yeah, I forgot about the 13hp harbour freight clone engine. Now I dont think it can get any cheaper than that. LAJIM, got any pics?
Old 04-26-2010, 10:08 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes, your '86 is a candidate for a Honda clone motor from harbor freight ...... check them out, 13 hp clone about 300 plus an new clutch and belt .....& like they say, some American engineering
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:22 PM   #8
mortimer
Getting Wild

Well I can make a sleeve to adapt the old clutch no problem. And a plate to mount shouldn't be too hard. Need to figure out how to line up clutches and how far to offset the motor to get the clutches in line. I don't know how to find a belt size or the amount of play it should have. Width would obviously be the same since I would use the old clutch.

Are you guys using the Club Car starter? Or can the new engine starter be wired correctly to run as a normal cart? Starts with the petal. I don't know how the wiring is and if it would shut off the new starter after takeoff.

Hows the speed with the 13hp clone?

Need to get her going before I consider other things like a lift and bigger tires.
And sell a few things like a 4wheeler and a few outboard engines. Cart money just sitting around needing to be sold.
mortimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #9
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

The sleeve for the old clutch is around $40 and its ready to go. Cheap enough to buy. Lining up the stock clutch = just measure where it is at the current moment from the frame or another fixed part of the cart that will not move. Measure from the bolt and or the plates, thats what one guy said he did and its working out. That will get you where you need to be. Id do a key start if you use the clone engine, if you make a mount for the carts starter maybe then go pedal start. Id rather use my carts starter and make a mount. Belt I think someone has posted already what belt they used that works for the clone swaps. As far as top speed goes, I think the speed may be the same as speed depends on rpms and I dont know the clones rpm range. Now it will pick up top speed a lot faster but gears and tire size will make more speed. Someone may have more info than me but its what ive learned
Old 05-03-2010, 09:34 PM   #10
LAJim
Not Yet Wild

Mortimer, and others who responded to my post re: 13 HP harbor freight motor.. Thanks for your input and ideas.. I made a new engine plate,put in new mount bushings, sat the engine in, then lined up the clutch sheaves,where the left sides were in a straight line, then moved the engine to the left,(drivers side)3/16",then marked and drilled engine mount holes and bolted in. This puts the pulleys slightly out of line but seems to work fine. I have no idea how I came up with this rocket science!! Guess those 5 years of mechanical engineering education might have kicked in.. You can watch the transition of the belt as rpm's go up and belt yaws from slight left/right to right/left, and then back as you get out of it.. Pretty interesting as ratio change occurs. New motor has little effect on top end, cause it still running bout same RPM as old engine,boy it just gets there a lot quicker.. Bigger tires or gears would make more top end and this motor would sure pull bigger tires easily.. At rest this cart idles so don't know what long term effect this will have on belt wear. Have pics I will post when I get time. Anybody want to land line this swap, I at 251-421-5329,24/7. LAJim
LAJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car