lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
rockcop
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO PDS performance problem/upgrade

I have a 2005 PDS with stock motor, 07 batteries, lift, and 20" tires. After riding around the neighborhood for 15-20 minutes the back tires seem to lockup after releasing the gas pedel. It also at times stops running. After letting it sit for a few minutes it will go somewhat normal. I have heard that going slow or half speed is bad for PDS carts. Is that true? I would like to change the controller to a Alltrax 400 amp or 500amp. Will that help or cure my problems? Will be using the cart for road travel with a lot of hills and the occasional off road travel that will require low/half speed. Anything else I should do to allow me to run the cart at half/low speed without over heating the controller. The current controller is stock. I've also been told I should have gotten a series cart if I wanted to lift it. Is that true? Unfortunately my money tree has died so I must work with what I have. I'm looking for speeds of 18-20 mph with good uphill torque. Please give me some advise. Should I convert my cart to series?
rockcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO PDS performance problem/upgrade

Sounds like a thermal shutdown to me and the jerking stop is the Regen Brake kicking in. Sounds like you are in need of a controller and maybe a motor.

OK so looking at your needs I would get a 500 amp Alltrax and detune to 400, Save up for a PQ motor rewind, Also the small stuff to go with the upgrade and then add 2 more 6v to the bag well down the road and get the best of everything.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Half throttle and cruising hills is a PDS killer, your tire size is ok but with the upgrades listed above you could go larger and I would go with a 10-12 inch wheel to cut down on the unbalanced wheel hop you will have running large tires on 8 inch wheels.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you may also have a Mild or Steep hill chip in. If every time you snap off the gas it feels like a brake is being applied then you have Regen brake in effect and that can generate more heat and cause the thermal overload try and pull out the chip and run all terrain mode.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
rockcop
Not Yet Wild

What is and where do you get a PQ motor rewind? Are they reliable and cost effective?
Old 08-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
rockcop
Not Yet Wild

It has a freedom chip I believe.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #7
Scooter B
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you are already having a controller problem, mine still does fine, on 22" tires, but there are no hills where I live. I also have the freedom or "speed" chip, which greatly reduces the regen, and with that, the heat. I know I'm pushing it, but I will ride it till the wheels fall off....or the controller burns up, then install the Alltrax 400. I'm getting 20-21 MPH on stock motor and controller - 22" tires. I don't think it's necessary to "convert" to a series, but by putting in the 400 or 500 amp Alltrax and a motor re wind and removing the regen, you will be in business, the 48V is just icing on the cake! You probably would have been better off with a series, but I'm a fan of the PDS and you can make it work, just don't go any bigger than 22" tires....And that's what I've learned at Buggies Gone Wild.
Scooter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO