lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
letitbe
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 96 TXT ELE Dif Down. tolerances?

Used 96 TXT freedom appears all stock. When I checked the differential the stuff that came out smells like rear end lube but is as thin as 3 in1 oil, made waves when rocked the drain pan. Dropped pan and everything has glitter. The small gears and shafts move and perhaps the gears on the axels as well. Is there a manual that tells the tolerances of all shafts and gears? And need the part numbers as well. Signed, Big trouble in little Iowa.
letitbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 96 TXT ELE Dif Down. tolerances?

I have not seen set up tolerances or wear specs for these little rear ends, basically they work forever until they quit so long as you keep any kind of oil in em..... Is your's not working? Howling? Metal in the pan is not unusual.... clean it up and change the oil if it's working.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
letitbe
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks scottyb, I'm just not use to seeing this kind of wear in the carriers. I know I'm not going to crash and burn at 15mph. As far as howling goes, I had assumed because of a carts make-up it would howl some what. I have two hearing aids and they both have electronic noise suppression, but for what I'm seeing I'm surprised it was not louder. The metal is so fine I don't think it will be a problem unless it builds up arround balls and freezes a bearing. Is this something people do, put lighter oil in to reduce drag? From what I can find it is suppose to have straight 30w. Is this what I should use? Thanks again.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:20 AM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

You might want to consider buying a rare earth magnet and sticking it on the bottom of the pan. That will remove any small metal particles from circulation.

I tore apart my 1998 TXT rear end and stuck a magnet in the oil I removed, and found NO particles. Age and miles on buggies are independent.

I replaced all bearings and seals in mine, and in the motor. I'd suggest you do the same.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:24 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

You'll find there isn't consensus on oils, but I used a 90 weight gear oil, made for rear ends. The thought was that it would do a better job on a 14 year old rear end. I ain't worried about a little extra drag, if it means better lubrication.

Others will say 30 weight is fine, and I'm no expert.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:35 AM   #6
letitbe
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It is hard to say how many hours is on any used cart, but this one had the bag straps frayed, so it must have had alot of use. With tranny going out of one car it has me a little jumpy. Service manual calls for 30w, I plan on using this in winter and think 90 may be a little heavy. I've already started putting a magnet on the fill inspect plug and plan on checking it often, may reduce the meat grinder affect. Plan on motor rebuild this winter, have to much that needs to be done before it gets to cold in shop. Times wastin, got to go.Thanks for all the input guys.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by letitbe View Post
It is hard to say how many hours is on any used cart, but this one had the bag straps frayed, so it must have had alot of use. With tranny going out of one car it has me a little jumpy. Service manual calls for 30w, I plan on using this in winter and think 90 may be a little heavy. I've already started putting a magnet on the fill inspect plug and plan on checking it often, may reduce the meat grinder affect. Plan on motor rebuild this winter, have to much that needs to be done before it gets to cold in shop. Times wastin, got to go.Thanks for all the input guys.
If you put 90W in the electric rear end it will work, but it will slow the cart down a little.
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:36 AM   #8
letitbe
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well a lot has happened since I wrote last. Just a note to start. The final drive is only running about 260rpm. I don't know what a cars final drive does but would guess more than that, and in doing so would generate more heat, thinning the 90W gear lube. It is my feeling that the 30W oil is more than sufficient for the task. Now then after putting the 30W oil in rear-end, the heavier oil was doing its job, traveling up the gear chain and lubing the bearings, but it also picked up filings and carried them into the bearings as well, and one of the bearings locked up. I tore down rear-end and replaced all the bearings with sealed bearings for around $90.00 with shipping. The cart is running great now, but after I thought I did a great job of cleaning everything, the magnet is still collecting fines, I'm glad I went with the sealed bearings.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO