lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
suppavillin
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Melted Terminal

Hey guys. I am haveing one problem after the other.
Is there any way to fix something like this? The wire and terminal get so hot it starts to melt. I am just wondering what could be causing this to happen? I just replaced this cable last week and it happened again same spot.
suppavillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Melted Terminal

Are you getting the terminal nuts tight enough? You might want to change to a hex nut. I'm sure others will chime in quickly with a answer that is just what you're looking for. Was the terminal cleaned well to allow for a good connection? Just a couple of possibilities that would create heat build up.
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
suppavillin
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

This is the same terminal I had the 12v lights hooked up to along with another battery. I am wondering if that could have caused this. I didnt know if I had to hook the lights up to any specific battery or order so I just hooked one wire to this positive terminal and the other wire to the negative of the battery next to this one. I unhooked the lights to see if the cart would run right but it doesnt, it could be because the damage is already done though. I dont know though? The lights may have nothing to do with this??
I notice I was getting really crappy run time for the last 2 weeks and yesterday I noticed this. Can this be fixed or do I need a whole new battery?
Old 10-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
suppavillin
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledRotten View Post
Are you getting the terminal nuts tight enough? You might want to change to a hex nut. I'm sure others will chime in quickly with a answer that is just what you're looking for. Was the terminal cleaned well to allow for a good connection? Just a couple of possibilities that would create heat build up.
Thanks,
yea, I cleaned everything really good with bakeing soda and water. Now the wing nut is stuck on the terminal and the "pole" is lose. It wiggles a little bit now. I wonder if there is anything I can do to take up some of the space to make a good connection, I cant tighten the wing nut because its stuck so the connection is really loose now, you guys thing I can stuff something in there and tape it?
Old 10-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
Bud Man
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by suppavillin View Post
Thanks,
you guys thing I can stuff something in there and tape it?
No way that will work you are going to have to get that wing nut off, if it comes apart you may have to drill and tap the post to put a new lug in there to connect to.
Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
rib33024

SP is right on with his reply, the connection was loose that is why this happen, you need to get rid of those wing nuts, and use the hex nuts, and where did you get the battery cables that you are using at the auto store??, there is two ways to fix this, and NO you can not stuff some thing under it, or tape it, here's one fix http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/batte...nal-repair.php,

or get some thing like this

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwCA&dur=1324
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
suppavillin
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Man View Post
No way that will work you are going to have to get that wing nut off, if it comes apart you may have to drill and tap the post to put a new lug in there to connect to.
Ok, ill have to do that. I am wondering if I do all this if it is just going to happen again? Because I don't know what caused this in the first place, I imagine a new battery will be a 100% fix. I hope so atleast, I would hate to go buy one and if it crap out again.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
suppavillin
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
SP is right on with his reply, the connection was loose that is why this happen, you need to get rid of those wing nuts, and use the hex nuts, and where did you get the battery cables that you are using at the auto store??, there is two ways to fix this, and NO you can not stuff some thing under it, or tape it, here's one fix http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/batte...nal-repair.php,

or get some thing like this

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwCA&dur=1324
Ok, thank you, I think ill try option 2 first. Looks like that will be fine. I imagine it will be ok if it is the only battery to have it done that way?
I got those cables (red) from the motor sports store that sells the carts, I think they are crap cables though. I just got those as a quick fix, I have black ones on the way, hopefully there better.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like you may be able to use an automobile type terminal to stud adapter.

Oops! Didn't click on both links above.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
suppavillin
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, I got the wing nut off and cut that burnt up ring off and put a new one on and put it back and tightned the wing nut town snug and it seems to be working. I took it for a 10 min ride and it still seemed to get a little warm but not hot. I may be in the clear.....for now. Thanks guys.

Tags
battery, problems
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO