lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #31
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would stretch the spring first before dropping $200. I dont have a choice on mine. Shafts are wore even with a new bushing. You will be happy to know that i ordered the monroe shocks for my cart from rock auto. Should be here tues. $67 w/shipping to my door.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #32
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Weird possible clutch issue 86 Marathon

OK - so I spent some time with the driven clutch in my hands, on the bench, etc yesterday and here's a whole NEW deal:

It's def not the 89-up style as shown in that video Dave posted, it has a flat spring. SO - according to the original 1986 manual that CAME with the cart (and according to the provided photos, etc) I need to get it in an arbor press, (or my self-engineered equivalent) relieve the pressure and pop out the 2 retaining clips, etc etc.

THE CLUTCH LOOKS TOTALLY DIFFERENT. There are no clips that I can see, although there IS an allen-head set screw in the top of the clutch, right between where the arbor itself and the helix meet - anyone seen this before? I looked everywhere and can't find a pic or info on this setup in any EZGO manual ... Even tried pressing the arbor (no luck, won't budge) as well as the helix (tightly secured to the arbor, period).

I'd really like to get this dang thing apart to stretch the spring, as I tried a little home-engineering and managed to jam a couple of 1/8" shims under the spring at 3 points and took it for a spin, made the problem significantly better and definitely changed the shift points (ratio, whatever) to a much happier place ...

Seriously, has anyone seen what the allen head setscrew is, or what it's for, do I pull it, do I try pressing it in something much stronger than the vice/pipe rig I came up with, etc etc
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #33
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Its a comet driven clutch. I believe when you get the set screw out you have to unscrew the helix from the sheaves and thats how you get it apart. I learned that off this site by the way.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #34
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's a pic of the setup on my clutch - THANKS A MILLION to 1fast for the "Comet" idea, I did some research and it turns out You were right, although there's no way to unscrew the Helix (the ramps are too close and would interfere) ... So after a little research, I grabbed a big gear puller, removed the set screw, and with a little coaxing the helix hit the ceiling (not really, but sh*t did fly everywhere, evidently a little more pressure than I had thought, LOL)

[IMG][/IMG]

SO - after pulling it I did a full inspection and everything cleaned up real nice with some WD and steel wool, no slop or play, etc so a fast cleaning and lube later, I clamped the spring in the vice and gave her a good stretching - just under 1/2" worth compared to the height it was PRE-stretch ...

[IMG][/IMG]

SO - putting it back together was a bit trickier as it was under more tension, but a mallet and a block and some big C-clamps later, and I was reinstalling the set screw and putting the clutch back on the cart !!!

SO - it's about 45 and raining to beat the band, but I couldn't resist a fast shot around the driveway ... Number one, the power curve is FAR better, almost too good as it stays in the powerband probably longer than it should. I couldn't get it up to speed enough in the BS weather to see if it still catches the rivets, but I came close and I don't think it will (I'm actually thinking about trying the regular belt again, it's really REALLY tight with the HP3004 - to the extent that the cart just rolls away with the starter, even before it's running) ... So the preliminary call is a good one, the clutch DEFINITELY has life restored and is acting like it has a "power spring" installed, and just for grins I'm going to see if I can't hunt down some new clutch buttons, now that I know how easy it is to get apart if you actually DO it right, LOL
Old 10-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #35
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

At least i was half right i guess. There was a thread a long while back and somebody posted that it unscrewed.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #36
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Seriously, without your diligence I wouldn't have probably gotten it done, so THANKS a million, like I said !!!
Old 10-25-2012, 09:14 PM   #37
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Im glad i could help ya brew!

Old 10-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #38
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I got my monroe shocks on. I started a new thread. Figured it would help other members. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?p=795561

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO