lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
JMGreco
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default No luck on used battery...had to go new.

As posted last week one of my batteries dropped a cell. I had no luck finding a used one and had to go new. I understand that this is not ideal and ultimately will reduce the life of the new battery but are there any other negatives associated with the situation I am in? Should I observe the regular break in period or does that even matter at this point? Two batteries in the pack are one year old, three are 3 years old. Thanks
JMGreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: No luck on used battery...had to go new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGreco View Post
As posted last week one of my batteries dropped a cell. I had no luck finding a used one and had to go new. I understand that this is not ideal and ultimately will reduce the life of the new battery but are there any other negatives associated with the situation I am in? Should I observe the regular break in period or does that even matter at this point? Two batteries in the pack are one year old, three are 3 years old. Thanks
I don't think there will be any real need to go through the entire break in procedure ... considering your situation but several shallow discharges and recharging could not hurt and may help it get up to full power.

Good Luck and keep us posted.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I don't think there will be any real need to go through the entire break in procedure ... considering your situation but several shallow discharges and recharging could not hurt and may help it get up to full power.

Good Luck and keep us posted.
Actually, a series of shallow discharges, followed by some recharges without any discharges, might help regain the diminished storage capacity of the older batteries slightly.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:08 AM   #4
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Actually, a series of shallow discharges, followed by some recharges without any discharges, might help regain the diminished storage capacity of the older batteries slightly.
As JohnnieB is suggesting, charge the living heck out of the pack. I don't think there is a possible way to overcharge a pack. As long as the charger is rated properly. Topping off a battery when it is full just gives the battery a little extra room to breath, so to speak. If you think of batteries like lungs, they are always best when filled completely. The more you can stuff into a battery the bigger is can learn to be. Of course there is always limit.
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The reason I was suggesting the slightest bit of restraint was the fact that this thread is about adding a new battery to 3 yr old pack... they are going to take a charge at very different rates.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
JMGreco
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Update on my situation, after about two weeks the pack is performing above expectations. After following the advice given here, fully charged pack reading 38.3. Performance of the cart is the same as the when the pack was new. Again, very happy I have the pack charging as before the problem with the bad cell. Thanks guys.
JMGreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Glad to hear the pack is perking properly again.

Thank you for the feedback about what you did and the results.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO