lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
thechevyman
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Battery replacement question

I just purchased a 2007 Club Car Precedent. 48 volt 4/12v system

The previous owner replaced two of the 12 volt batteries last year. Now the other two origanal 2007 bateries are failed.

The newer batteries in the cart are may/2012 batteries and test good. Just not sure how damaged they may have gotten being in the cart for a year with 2 almost dead batteries. Money is concern since these 12 volt golf cart batteries are around $200 each.

Should I just replace these 2 batteries or all 4? I would hate to turn in these two batteries as core exchanges if they still have plenty of life. By the way, they are Deka 150ah batteries.

Thanks
thechevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Default Re: Battery replacement question

well your kind a in a tough one . Yes you should replace all because the new ones will be Just as bad as the older within months. one of the problems is the new batteries will take less charging time then the older ones . meaning they sit there and boil away waiting for the older ones to finish. now if you could find 2 more year old or so batts cheap then you can run it until you can buy new .

the other thing is if your going to buy 4 new then this my be the time to think about switching to 6 - 8 volts, like I said kind a in a tough spot
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
EnviroAudio
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

You would be better off replacing all 4. With 2 mismatched batteries in series (or parallel) it will reduce the life of the newer batteries. In series, the older batteries would be a little weaker than the newer, and the newer batteries would get overcharged while the older undercharged.

The reduction in the life of the newer batteries is hard to predict and would depend on how much weaker the older batteries are, but it will happen. Maybe someone else with real world experience can chime in on an estimate of how much it will reduce the life.

I definitely would not turn the batteries in for the core charge if they are still good. Might be able to get a little money back from them on craigslist.
EnviroAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

If you really want to do it right, buy six new 8v batts, and do the conversion.
But if money is a problem, maybe not the best for you right now...
6-8v batteries are much better performance wise than 4-12v batts.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
thechevyman
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I charged the two batteries I have individually. After two days of rest they are both showing 12.85 and 12.89 volts. I'm thinking they are in pretty good shape.

I'm thinking about just getting two batteries ($400) @ $200 each for now and hoping to get 3-4 years out of the group. Then I could invest in the 6/8v conversion. So, if the group lasts for 4 years then that would be a cost of $100 a year.
From what I hear about the 4/12v set up you can only plan on 5-6 years life from the pack. If I bought 4 batteries, now at $800, that would be a cost of $160 a year for the group if the group lasted for 5 years.

After this mismatched group wears out I will go for the 6/8v conversion.

Does this sound like a logical plan?
Old 07-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

400.00 for two is still a good chunk of cash . are the 4 you have now after charging separate doing any better and will they recharge off the gc charger . if you can get a year out them then run til there done . if not I would still look around and see if theres a used pair cheaper to get a year or two out of , then up grade
Old 07-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
thechevyman
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

The two bad batteries I have are originals. They are dead. I can charge one overnight and it'll get to 12.3 volts. But drops to 8v after applying a load to it.

I not have any luck finding a used battery.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

yup there junk . have you called any golf cart shops to see what they have ? Sucks to throw 400 into something you might get 2 yrs out of and be in the same place you are now
Old 03-29-2015, 10:54 AM   #9
RichBastin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have a 2007 electric club cart, how is the best way to get them out to replace them. They are under the seat and the ones on the ends are giving me a headache
RichBastin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:42 PM   #10
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Rich, please start a new thread for your question and

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car