lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #11
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Controller upgrade - tutorial?

:)

After topping off the new batteries, took it for a spin around the property and down/up the driveway. Have to say, the batteries don't seem to deliver much more "oomph" on the steep parts than the old, cheaper ones. I don't mind - it will be really interesting to see what difference the controller makes. I think I'll take a before/after video..
..a
eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2013, 06:48 AM   #12
kantuckian
Gone Wild

good to know
kantuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:00 AM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post

After topping off the new batteries, took it for a spin around the property and down/up the driveway. Have to say, the batteries don't seem to deliver much more "oomph" on the steep parts than the old, cheaper ones. I don't mind - it will be really interesting to see what difference the controller makes. I think I'll take a before/after video..
..a
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckian View Post
good to know

New batteries are 75% of their capacity until properly broken in.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:

..a
New batteries only have about 75% of their rated storage capacity and have to be "Broken in" to reach their full storage potential, so your 225AH batteries were roughly 170AH batteries on the first run.

I wouldn't run the cart too much, or drive it too hard, with just six of the seven new batteries installed. You are breaking them in unequally.

--------
A DCS cart with a DCX400 running at 42V will be a wicked machine.

What size tires you running?
If stock height (18"), be careful not to over-rev the motor going downhill. (Don't ask how I know )

--------
I see the Scotty posted about the new battery stuff while I was typing.

Last edited by JohnnieB; 08-17-2013 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: added comment
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #15
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Got the controller installed. OK, is it me, or does that alone make a HUGE difference? Seems MUCH more responsive to throttle, like a bigger-displacement car or motorcycle. Also seems to be a little faster?

Easy to switch out, triple checked wiring before taking a very short test run. We did use it at a horse show last week, but probably only 20-30 minutes total - trying not to run them too much while #7 sits charged but unused.

Speaking of #7, it's now physically installed but not wired in. When the charger comes in (Monday), I'm going to top that off again with a separate charger, top off the other 6, then wire it in and RIDE! :)

I also got LED's installed in the projector headlight units I picked up from eBay. Not quite as bright as halogen, but more than enough for a cart, and they look really cool. Now need to hack the old LED headlights out of the front body piece and get them installed.

I've also discovered I can relocate my ooga horn and voltage converter stuff to behind the dash, which will virtually remove all but the stock wiring from under the seat (which is where the 7th battery now sits). Instead of having the lights come on automatically, I'm going to allow them to be switched on and off, as well as selecting low/high beam. I think I'll install an overhead light in the roof, and foot-well illumination under the cup holder.

Finally, the fans are ready to install but I want to run it briefly on 42V and see where it gets hot, so I know where best to position them. I am going to "seal" the underside of the controller compartment, because we pick up a lot of dirt and mud running it at horse shows in the rain. It was filthy under there (and the other side but the 7th battery sits in a box, so I'm not concerned).

For those that stuck with this, I have a question - while replacing the controller, I noticed the wires for it are all stock 6ga. I have "upgraded" to 4ga between every battery - should I also replace the wires from the battery pack to the controller? How about from the controller to the motor?

..a
Old 08-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #16
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:

For those that stuck with this, I have a question - while replacing the controller, I noticed the wires for it are all stock 6ga. I have "upgraded" to 4ga between every battery - should I also replace the wires from the battery pack to the controller? How about from the controller to the motor?

..a
YES, you should have replaced ALL of the High Current cables with the same size/type.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #17
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That's what I thought, thx..
..a
Old 08-25-2013, 04:18 AM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

There will be 11 high current cables for a DCS (or PDS) with seven batteries. All should be same gauge.
The F1 and F2 cables only carry about 30A max, so if the originals are in good condition, they will suffice.

----------
As for more speed, if the "Turbo" box is checked, the field current is reduced after the throttle has been wide open for over one second, which increases speed. That is one of the perks of having a Sepex motor, you can alter its performance characteristics on the fly by altering the Armature current/Field current ratio.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Well, is it 42v yet?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #20
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

No, because didn't want to run it on 7 until I get the charger, which is out for delivery. The battery is installed, though, just not hooked up..
..a
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO