lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
tmetalman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1999 EZGO smelling hot near F&N/Control Box

I have a 1999 EZGO TXT 36V. Batteries have plenty of juice and are 2010. I keep it charged properly and keep water levels full. I drive it around the family farm at a low rate of speed to keep the baby occupied, he really enjoys it. I do not overdrive it by no means. My past three trips on it I have noticed a hot smell once parked coming from under the seat. Following my nose it puts me at the control box cover. I read forums and did my research. Today I removed the control box cover and the F&R cover. I inspected all cables and connections and they appear to be fine. And honestly the control box looks brand new along with the solenoid. I found nothing obvious. But when I was putting the control box cover back on my hand touched the rear of the F&R assembly at the lowest center post. It was extremelly hot. THe cables were warm but nothing extremelly hot. But the metal prong was really hot. Can someone help me with this issue to find what or where the hot is smell is coming from and should the bottom center post at the rear of the F&R switch be hot? Battery cables look good but I am ordering a set of 4g replacements for the batteries to help lower the heat transmission.
tmetalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1999 EZGO smelling hot near F&N/Control Box

All the amperage to the motor is going through the F&R. It is common for the F&R contacts to overheat if the loads exceed it's capacity. Driving slow creates more load. Drive on low voltage creates a lot more load. There are Heavy Duty F&Rs available. Beware not all HD F&R are equal.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
tmetalman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So what I could be smelling is me overloading by cruising at low speeds for extended periods. This in return I am guessing could sooner or later cause overheating to the extent of burning up a switch, solenoid or other items. Early I drove the cart for approx 5-8 minutes at a low speed around the yard prior to checking it early when I found it so hot.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

first, if you are upgrading the cables, you need to replace them ALL, all 13 of them.....other wise you aren't helping yourself as there will still be a bottle neck in the delivery system.

The post you described is coming from the B+ (Positive) terminal of the controller. when cables/post are getting hot, its because they are draying more amperage than normal.

oh and btw......Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wive's, husbands, girlfirends and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmetalman View Post
So what I could be smelling is me overloading by cruising at low speeds for extended periods. This in return I am guessing could sooner or later cause overheating to the extent of burning up a switch, solenoid or other items. Early I drove the cart for approx 5-8 minutes at a low speed around the yard prior to checking it early when I found it so hot.
YES
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
tmetalman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So prior to burning anything up the best option is to upgrade f&r switch to high capacity and replace all 13 cables to 4g. Any other suggestions
Old 09-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Your solenoid and controller will be the next weak links. If you never drive very far, and towing your buggy home isn't a problem, you could just drive until they fail. In my case, my solenoid melted, twice. I upgraded, and never had any more problems until my BIG upgrade.

If you plan on upgrading, you need to think about what you want to do in the long term.

Good info here:

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html

In fact, you should also read everything about battery care and maintenance there as well.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
tmetalman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Next question I run into. If I replaced the f&r switch with a high capacity is that in return going to allow more juice to the standard control box? It is appearing to me that of course every change effects everything and one may not work properly without the other
Old 09-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
tmetalman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry about that. You answered as I was typing a question you were answering.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Read the link on ScottyB's site, and he does a good job of explaining how the weakest link is what will fail first. Upgrading just the FNR and cables may be all you need. If your solenoid fails, upgrade it. If the controller fails, upgrade it. The stock motor should be fine.

However, if you plan on upgrading, or going with bigger tires or a beefier motor, it's better to plan now, rather than doing it piecemeal, and having less than ideal match of parts.

However, the cables and FNR won't be throw-away. If you upgrade your solenoid to a 36 volt HD, then decide to upgrade to 48 volts, or even 36 volts with a larger amperage controller, you may end up needing to upgrade again.

You can never go wrong with upgrading cabling and switches (FNR and solenoid) beyond what they need to be. You CAN go wrong if you upgrade the motor and/or bigger tires and/or controller, without doing the cabling, FNR and solenoid.

Make sense?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burning smell, f&r switch, wiring issues
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO