lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
ezgoin92
Not Yet Wild

Default 1992 36V EZ Go, Textron charger wont come on, batteries too low?

Hey guys, I have a 1992 EZ GO 36V with a Textron charger. I have spent the summer playing with my new (old 52 Ford 8N tractor) and neglected playing with the EZ GO. I normally keep an eye on the batterie indicator to not let it go below half w/out charging but this time apprently I waited too long between checking it and the batterie indicator is now flashing on its last two indicators. I am not sure the brand of batterie indicator it has maybe 8 dashes indicating full, 3/4, 1/2 etc. I hooked up the Textron charger but it won't kick on. I don't hear its normal hum or see the needle move at all. Did I let it go too low and now need to charge each of the 6V batts up individually until there is enough charge for the Textron to kick on or should I be looking at something else? The batts are interstate (from Sams club) around 1.5 to 2 years old and look good since it is kept in the garage. Batt water is looking good but I may top off again before charging. In advance thanks for the advice.
ezgoin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: 1992 36V EZ Go, Textron charger wont come on, batteries too low?

yes you might have let it get to low ... what is the pack voltage ?
top water after charging
you can use a 12v charger to bring 2 up at a time
Old 10-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
ezgoin92
Not Yet Wild

I am not sure of the pack voltage. I will have to check it when I get home later tonight. Thanks by the way I would have charged each batterie at a time....not sure why I wasn't thinking to charge 2 at a time
Old 10-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
ezgoin92
Not Yet Wild

Crash Test Dummy, I checked the packs voltage and it was only at 10.2. some batts were really really low. I will get them up to par with the 12 volt and any specific batt that is really low i'll use the 6v charger to get it evened up then use the carts regular charger to fully charge.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezgoin92 View Post
Crash Test Dummy, I checked the packs voltage and it was only at 10.2. some batts were really really low. I will get them up to par with the 12 volt and any specific batt that is really low i'll use the 6v charger to get it evened up then use the carts regular charger to fully charge.
WHAT?? total pack voltage is only 10.2 volts. I got bad news for you. your batteries are DEAD. that is only 1.7 volts a piece........its time to go battery shopping.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
WHAT?? total pack voltage is only 10.2 volts. I got bad news for you. your batteries are DEAD. that is only 1.7 volts a piece........its time to go battery shopping.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
ezgoin92
Not Yet Wild

I may have had my head stuffed somewhere it didn't belong when I wrote or measured the pack voltage down. I did have one batt really low but most were hovering low to mid 3volt. I charged them up as noted above and put the Powerwise charger on last night. This morning all batts were around 6.6+ and total pack voltage was 40. I will check again when I get home to see if they have maintained a charge today or began to fade quickly.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I may have had my head stuffed somewhere it didn't belong when I wrote or measured the pack voltage down. I did have one batt really low but most were hovering low to mid 3volt. I charged them up as noted above and put the Powerwise charger on last night. This morning all batts were around 6.6+ and total pack voltage was 40. I will check again when I get home to see if they have maintained a charge today or began to fade quickly.
they are still low.....and most likely never a true full charge. they should get to between 45-47 volts.....then once they do and your charger cuts off, if it ever does......then let the pack sit for 12 hrs then measure your pack voltage, and report back.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #9
ezgoin92
Not Yet Wild

Smile Re: 1992 36V EZ Go, Textron charger wont come on, batteries too low?

Sir Nuke, I am going to toss the cart back on charge tonight. After I let it sit for the day the pack voltage went from 40 when I pulled it off the charger to about 37 (roughly 8 hours later). I presume there is typically a slight drop in voltage reading after you remove the pack from the charger just not sure it should be that much. The charger was still humming away when I pulled it off (didn't check the needle before i unplugged it though). If I toss it back on tonight I am concerned with it overcharging. I can't think of a time when i have charged the cart where i didn't hear it still humming away when I went to unplug it. I suppose the question is, is there a way to test the charger to know if it will kick off automatically as the labeling on the front of it says it will or may I have never fully charged the batts? Typically I charge it when it gets between 3/4 to half for about 8-9 hrs. Thanks for the continued assist
Old 10-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Sir Nuke, I am going to toss the cart back on charge tonight. After I let it sit for the day the pack voltage went from 40 when I pulled it off the charger to about 37 (roughly 8 hours later). I presume there is typically a slight drop in voltage reading after you remove the pack from the charger just not sure it should be that much. The charger was still humming away when I pulled it off (didn't check the needle before i unplugged it though). If I toss it back on tonight I am concerned with it overcharging. I can't think of a time when i have charged the cart where i didn't hear it still humming away when I went to unplug it. I suppose the question is, is there a way to test the charger to know if it will kick off automatically as the labeling on the front of it says it will or may I have never fully charged the batts? Typically I charge it when it gets between 3/4 to half for about 8-9 hrs. Thanks for the continued assist
first, we are going to assume, because of how low they were, they many not reach a full charge, that is after the charger kicks off, and the batteries rest 12 hrs, they may or may not be fully charged. for a 36v cart, after the pack rests, it should be at 38.2v you stopped charging yours at 40v, and after roughly 8 hrs they were at 37.....perfectly normal. no problem there. so let it charge till it kicks off, let it rest the 12 hrs.....and see where it ends up.

SO, plug it in and let it go.....as long as its working properly.....it will cut off once it reach's between 45 - 47v......I had my cart get down to nearly 50% once, it took 22 hrs to totally charge the pack....so don't be too concerned.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO