lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default RXV battery connection procedure

Just for the heckuvit, I disconnected a battery cable to do a bit of measurment on my new RXV. I'm pretty sure the switch was in 'Tow' at the time, but I found it didn't seem to make much difference: there's a terrible arc when you touch the cable to the battery post. It's my understanding that this is "normal". Seems like it'd be a very Bad Idea to fool with battery connections immediately after the thing comes off charge, what with the high concentration of hydrogen.

Do these things not have a pre-charge resistor like many others? I've thought about using a loose resistor between the cable end and the battery terminal just before making the connection.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: RXV battery connection procedure

I do exactly that, use a precharge resistor while i make the connection. It seems caused by the DC convertor, the older ones without a convertor dont do this. The resistor is a good safety procedure whenever any significant work is done, or on vehicles that i know spark when connected.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: RXV battery connection procedure

Thanks for the tip, I'll use a resistor when connecting cables in the future.

I thought the DC converter was 'off' when the key switch is 'off'. Or is it one of those deals where power is applied all the time and a 3rd input wire energizes the thing?
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO