lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2014, 07:42 PM   #11
anthonywebb
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1988 Marathon on Lithium

With the rust cleaned off and a new coat of POR15 (which I would highly recommend BTW) we were ready for the conversion kit. The kit from Scotty finally arrived. I did an unboxing video and my camera ate the clip so I dont have that anymore to post. It is unfortunate too because I really think an unboxing and assembly video would go a long way to making the process dead simple. If Scotty is out there he should seriously consider doing this.

The kit came packaged great. Great care had been taken to ensure its safe arrival. For me the documentation was lacking though, sure there was text instruction and some attempts at drawings, but in the end I found myself fumbling over terms, and trying to decipher what went where. I somehow managed to assemble things and install it backwards such that instead of delivering 0 --> 5v the potentiometer as the gas pedal was pressed, it delivered a solid 5 --> 0v. After swapping a couple emails with Scotty, I was set straight and all was well.

Perhaps I am overstating the difficulty here, and certainly it was easily fixed, but a simply video or actual images of what the thing should look like assembled would have been very helpful.

Note that the images below are the incorrect install. The potentiometer should have been mounted with the cable exiting the bottom of the cart, not the top as I have mounted in the photo. I will post some more photos of the proper install.
anthonywebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-28-2014, 09:02 PM   #12
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonywebb View Post
Was curious if someone could verify that this looks OK? I wasnt sure if there was a cap that was missing?
Yes there is a cap that presses in that hole in the rear
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:16 PM   #13
anthonywebb
Not Yet Wild

@rib33024 thanks for the heads up, I will try an locate a replacement cap, are you aware of what the cap is covering? If I know I can kind of ask around for something specific. Thanks again!
Old 10-28-2014, 10:44 PM   #14
rib33024

It covers the bearing in the case that your gears spin in, It's a freeze plug

Dana Axle:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...5-28148g01.pdf

Here's alot of info on rebuilding a rear, it shows the plug your missing

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...xperiment.html

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...tml#post524374

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...tml#post629275
Old 10-28-2014, 11:37 PM   #15
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Totally normal, plug welds. that's how they were built and it is perfectly fine. that's how they make a steel tube stay inside of aluminum housing, cant weld aluminum to steel.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:46 PM   #16
anthonywebb
Not Yet Wild

I got the batteries in the mail, and was fired up to do the assembly. I brainstormed how best to fit them in the cart and found that all 14 of them right in between the wheel wells was probably the best fit.

The only problem was that the conversion kit that I had just installed was mounted exactly where I wanted to put the battery pack. To make matters worse I had not welded anything since highschool about 20 years ago (I'm actually a software developer by trade, not a fabricator) At any rate, I pulled out the grinder with a cutting wheel and went to work.

I cut out some pieces and welded in some replacements to relocate the throttle pot and make a sturdy mount for the new pack. A near perfect fit for 14 of the Nissan Leaf cells.

Overall I am pretty excited about the way things are shaping up. I am now waiting for an onboard charger, and need to get the battery tied up and controller (Alltrax SPM48500EZ) wired in.

Anyone have any tips/suggestions for making your own 2G cables?
Old 10-29-2014, 12:52 AM   #17
anthonywebb
Not Yet Wild

I'm never certain if I should start a new thread when I have questions, or just ask them here as to keep the entire build all in one spot. At any rate, I was curious about how to tell if my rear axel is good to go or if it needs to have some attention?

When I lift the rear tires should I be able to turn them by hand? If so, how difficult should it be to turn them. If I turn one wheel should the other ALWAYS turn in the opposite direction?

My experience was that when I lifted the back tires, the rear tires were pretty difficult to turn, almost felt like grinding, not real smooth. When I would turn on wheel the other wheel would sometimes turn in the opposite direction, but not all the time.

I have been contemplating replacing the brakes, my brake lines are pretty shot so those definitely will need to be replaced, but wondering if I need to work over this rear axel before too long as well?
Old 10-29-2014, 01:23 AM   #18
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonywebb View Post
I'm never certain if I should start a new thread when I have questions, or just ask them here as to keep the entire build all in one spot. At any rate, I was curious about how to tell if my rear axel is good to go or if it needs to have some attention?

If it's about this build keep your questions here,

When I lift the rear tires should I be able to turn them by hand? If so, how difficult should it be to turn them. If I turn one wheel should the other ALWAYS turn in the opposite direction?

It shouldn't be hard to turn, you should be able to push the cart with one hand on level ground, if not check the brakes,

My experience was that when I lifted the back tires, the rear tires were pretty difficult to turn, almost felt like grinding, not real smooth. When I would turn on wheel the other wheel would sometimes turn in the opposite direction, but not all the time.

Check the brakes and cables

Rear may need new bearings they got some miles on them, or brakes could be draging

This is normal for the rear

I have been contemplating replacing the brakes, my brake lines are pretty shot so those definitely will need to be replaced, but wondering if I need to work over this rear axel before too long as well?
Old 10-29-2014, 11:56 AM   #19
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That's a pretty sweet battery pack! Interested to see how this turns out.

I was contemplating building my own cables as well, but I have not done so yet. I was going to use welding cable and solder in the ends. I'll be interested to see how people respond to your question about building your own cables.

Good luck!
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:17 PM   #20
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you crimp your cables, harbor freight has a nice small hydraulic crimper that works great. It has different dies for different size and it comes with one for 2 ga.
beach cart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ezgo, lithium
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO