lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2014, 07:56 PM   #1
loflyer2880
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Workhorse 1200mpt is really jerky

I have a Workhorse 1200mpt that is very jerky at the low end. It has a 350 with a 28 degree clutch I was told. This was a drop in engine to replace my 295. It runs well but at low end its on and off like a lights switch. Any ideas?
loflyer2880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Workhorse 1200mpt is really jerky

throttle adjustment. It can be a real pain, but you need to get everything set up so that the pedal microswitch engages BEFORE the throttle itself opens at all or You'll be starting out with the throttle already opened, which will kill any plan for low-rpm driving. Start by (with the ignition off) pressing the pedal slowly with your hand while watching the throttle arm, you want to feel the "click" of the pedal switch just prior to the arm moving. The adjustment can be finicky, it can generally be done at the rear end but if your cables are worn, etc then You'll also have to do some tweaking at the carb or even in the box under the floor mat.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Almost forgot, what year is your MPT? I ask because I've never heard of or seen an MPT that had a 295 unless it was an MPT800 - something doesn't add up. Also, the MPT800's came with a 36 degree clutch most of the time, might want to double-check and see what number is stamped on the helix (either 36 or 2 ...
Old 10-29-2014, 07:34 PM   #4
loflyer2880
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Brewcity thanks for the info I am going to try that on Sunday. I follow your builds and man you really put the time and money into them. The official EZ GO site tells me its a 2003. When it comes to the engine the 295 is what came in it when it landed at my house 3 years ago. What is the diff between a the MPT 1200 and the workhorse 1200 in your signature?
Thanks
loflyer2880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:25 AM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

MPT is the "new" name for the base workhorse that hey started around 2001-ish, the carts are basically the same (engine, clutch, frame, body, etc) but the true "Workhorse" was lifted and came with 20" tires on 10" rims, had available locking differential, etc. As a rule though, the two names are basically interchangeable, as I've seen factory lifted MPT's too - MPT stands for "Multi-Purpose Truck" by the way.

You see a lot of "creative engineering" with the used MPT/Workhorses, primarily I would assume as they are generally purchased by golf courses as versus the regular golf cars which are most often leased and maintained by the leasing company. It's likely that at one time the original 350 went south, and to save time and money they dropped a 295 from a wrecked cart in there to keep it on the maintenance crew - not really a big deal, especially now that You've swapped them back so to speak.

I'll PM You my phone number, if You get totally stuck trying to get it all adjusted give me a call, I'll try and lead You through it (although it's a frustrating job, it's one that You'll likely only have to do once).

And just to REALLY confuse You, the MPT and Workhorse were also sold as the Cushman Commander and the Jacobsen Hauler, the MPT800 was also marketed as the ST350 - You learn to look at the cart itself, not the name after awhile LOL
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO