lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2015, 09:29 PM   #1
keddano
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default '79 Marathon Lost Spark

Just picked up a '79 Saturday from a friend. It's been parked all winter. He went to the shed and fired it right up. We brought it home and did a quick primer job and headed out to the campground with it. Ran great all sat and sunday morning, drove it back to the campsite after a ride and parked it. Went to start later and crank but no fire. Checked and we have no spark at all. Have a manual ordered and downloaded one that was mentioned here.

Been busy and just started to check it out tonight. Cleaned cables. have 12v during crank on all 4 wires off the shift switch and 12v on the coil during cranking. Will check coil and pulser tomorrow with a OHM meter. Couple of questions.

Does this one have a micro switch off the pedal? Didn't see one under floor mat.

How common is it to loose the pulser and/or the ignitor suddenly?

Also does it hurt anything if the key is left on for a long time? sure the wife will do it sooner then later.

Thanks
keddano is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2015, 12:07 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: '79 Marathon Lost Spark

Yes, you have a pedal switch. It's under the seat way down low, connected to the other end of the pedal. If it cranks over, the pedal switch, and the other microswitches are working.

You most likely have a points problem. Either stuck open, or welded shut.

Your key switch should be hooked in series with the other switches, so leaving the key on shouldn't be a problem.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:11 AM   #3
keddano
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

So the 79 has points... So does that kill any idea of doing a HEI upgrade on it? I need my manual I ordered online. Grrrrr
Old 04-15-2015, 05:32 AM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I didn't read it, but it appears that it is possible.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...rsion-hei.html
Old 04-15-2015, 08:43 PM   #5
keddano
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Got into it tonite some. Everything checks out outside the engine, so I pulled the flywheel shield. Points are located under the flywheel. Is the flywheel nut right hand thread? Didn't want to chance trying to force if left handed thread.

Also is there a PDF download of the service manual for the point models? My CD one that I ordered is a few days off.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:22 PM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

My 87 has the normal right hand thread. I used an air impact to remove it, and a steering wheel puller to remove the flywheel.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:20 AM   #7
keddano
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Cart Around for the info. Got the flywheel off and redressed the points for till the new set comes in. Back with good spark. What a PIA to try and set the point gap with the flywheel on.
Took some pixs to help people in the future to know what to deal with. Willpost with comments.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:29 AM   #8
keddano
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Changing Points
Once you remove the flywheel shroud, you will need to bend the tabs down that lock the 14mm head bolt. I would soak it with PB Blaster before hand. The round metal cover has to be removed to set the points, It's held on by 2 phillps screws and seems normal to be sealed/glue to prevent water from entering the flywheel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-04-15_19-55-00_312.jpg (161.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-17-2015, 08:35 AM   #9
keddano
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Here is the flywheel bolt removed,it is not thick, so be careful not to break it. To pull the flywheel, Get a 14mm bolt with a 1.5 pitch, about 50mm long. (I don't remember who posted the size but many thanks) It threads into a 14mm thread in the flywheel and tightens against the armature/crank shaft. When tightened it will Pull the flywheel off. I used a pipe wrench on the Clutch side to hold it while loosing it. Once it's tight you may need to rap the head to help pop it off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-04-16_19-12-19_487.jpg (49.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-04-16_19-13-17_116.jpg (154.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-17-2015, 08:43 AM   #10
keddano
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Here is the points with the fly wheel removed. To remove the points you undue the nut holding the 2 leads on and only want to remove the one screw that holds them, not the gold mounting plate that has 2 screws, that is only loosened if/when you need to change timing. Once the screw is removed, you will have to remove a very small C-Clip off of the post the point pivot on. There are a couple of fine washers under it, and one washer on the bottom side of the points. Don't lose them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-04-16_19-00-26_988.jpg (209.7 KB, 0 views)

Tags
no spark
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO