lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2015, 05:02 PM   #1
lady bug
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default g8 issues

I have what I believe to be a g8 yamaha golf cart. I got it from a friend literally in baskets motor and all. I am really familiar with carts so didn't think the job would be to bad.well I got it all together new rings bearings ect. Got it back in the cart today and started on the wiring. After putting together it won't run past 500 rpm. Almost like I hit a Rev liter absolutely refuses to spool up at all but 500 rpm or under purrs like a kitten cleaned fuel tank . New carburetor battery and starter Gen seem to be good . I ohm tested the flywheel pickup and that also works fine I'm down to the ignitor box but don't want to buy one to find out that's not the issue . Any help would be awesome thanks guys
lady bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2015, 05:09 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: g8 issues

If it won't go over about 500 rpms, it probably isn't even running. Just turning over with the starter. Pull the plug wire off and see if it acts any different.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:53 PM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Better yet, use a dynamic spark tester. You can see if there's spark and you wont have a chance of blowing out the TCI.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:40 PM   #4
lady bug
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The engine is running not just turning over. It dies when you pull plug wire but does not want to run over 500 rpm At all
Old 05-29-2015, 06:43 PM   #5
lady bug
Gone Wild

Yamaha

some times the cart will continue to run after the pedal is not depressed and the only way it will stop turning over I have to pull a battery terminal when this happens it refuses to start up will just sit and turn over
Old 05-29-2015, 06:53 PM   #6
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Is the plug wet or dry?
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:57 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I have seen a bad voltage regulator or a bad solenoid cause "keeps cranking". Is it possible the ignition components / flywheel are mismatched. See "Smallblocks" stickie on engine swaps for incompatible ignition parts info. When i had a mismatched flywheel on a cart (also brought to me in pieces), it wouldnt rev either.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:42 PM   #8
lady bug
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I checked just now and the plug is black very black . And watched the spark with my tester and at low rpm it seems to be a decent spark but I get up to that 500 rpm mark and the spark stI'll ignites but barely enough to light the tester
Old 05-29-2015, 07:50 PM   #9
lady bug
Gone Wild

Yamaha

This one has me stumped pretty good. The spark seams weak most of the time. Is there a ground on these that I could have missed the only ground I have is the one that goes from the batter to the starter/gen
Old 05-29-2015, 07:50 PM   #10
lady bug
Gone Wild

Yamaha

And also once IN awhile it will crank really fast and at other times acts like it has a low battery
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha