lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2015, 08:01 PM   #11
GasYammiWannaRun
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 will not start

Thanks for the tip. I've been searching and searching…. Think I'll just start by jacking up the cart and crawling around. Thanks for the tip on the brakes.

I fear the "easy stuff" will start hitting my wallet….
GasYammiWannaRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2015, 08:03 PM   #12
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasYammiWannaRun View Post
I fear the "easy stuff" will start hitting my wallet….
You gotta pay to play. Unless the G1 was left in a field to rust away, it shouldn't be too bad on the wallet.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:05 PM   #13
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Most things are not that bad, or people here figured out a way around them. Few things are expensive, but often things that last a long time like a clutch for example.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:24 PM   #14
GasYammiWannaRun
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Hello all! Well, I took a look at the brakes and I was surprised how easily the wheels and the drums came off with minimal grooves from the pads, how evenly the right side to left side pads had worn down, and how little rust and no frozen parts there were. There is about 1/8" of lining left but I don't know how thick new pads are. I cleaned up the dust, and scuffed the rust on the drum surface, and adjusted the tensioner under the pedals.

The right side works well and I can lock up the wheel on a dirt road. The driver's side does not lock up and the cable does not always return all the way, so I think I will remove this cable and see if it binds and replace it as the lever going into the back plate does not seem to be frozen.

One question on the adjuster (square shaft under rubber boot) at the top center - is it only a 90 degree turn to spread the pads apart using a 7mm open wrench, or will it keep spreading the pads apart if I keep turning the square shaft? Another question, with one wheel up at a time, it's not easy to spin the hub/wheel. I should feel this resistance, right? It's difficult to feel any change in resistance from turning the adjuster because of this…

On to the Steering where I know I'm gonna have to pay to play!
Old 06-25-2015, 05:33 PM   #15
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Brakes should not drag that much unless you put new shoes in, they take a bit to wear to the drum. I guess I would drive it some and use the brakes then try adjusting it again. Should be able to turn the tire by hand without any difficulty, maybe two hands but it should not be hard to do.

Steering box you loosen the nut and turn the center bolt in to tighten, do this with the steering turned to the side as it will be looser in the center then bind when you turn if you adjust in center. Make sure it goes all the way each way free when you are done or loosen it some. Most take the cover off and pack the box with wheel bearing grease because the lube leaks out.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:02 PM   #16
GasYammiWannaRun
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks Sho. I'll drive it around and try turning the tire with 1 hand. Thanks for the steering tips.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:27 PM   #17
GasYammiWannaRun
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

OK, so the left rear wheel - i can spin it with one hand. The right rear was hard to spin with 2 hands so I loosened the adjuster screw. It turns with 1 hand now and brakes are still good so I will drive it around more after fixing the steering which is a mess.

I think I should start a new thread on the steering.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:00 PM   #18
GasYammiWannaRun
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Just a quick update. I ordered and installed an new stop switch for G1 from Everything Carts $64.77 and it works. The new stop switch has a plastic threaded shaft and plastic mounting nuts instead of made from steel, like the original part. The threaded shaft was a significantly larger in diameter so I had to drill out the mounting hole.

Thanks for the help!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha