lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2015, 09:32 AM   #1
Cdebo1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Yamaha Throttle Questions

So i am having an intermittent backfire and have looked through all the seals and the plastic spacer on the carb. It is a Yamaha G21a Most everything Looks good. I adjusted the throttle cable and can see the butterfly open fully. But the major question is this cable bracket supposed to be bent the way it is here on my cart. with the spring and could this be some of my issue??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6695.jpg (175.8 KB, 0 views)
Cdebo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2015, 01:25 PM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha Throttle Questions

I think the bracket looks ok. Make sure the butterfly is closing all the way.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #3
Cdebo1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Thanks yea it looked "stock" but it's bent kind of weird. Could that govanor be removed? Or just by closing the bolt it will be the best I will get out of the cart I am happy with speed gettin 23mph. My only other complaint but I'm guessin cause it's a utlity cart is its loud and suggestions on getting it a little quiter maybe aftermarket muffler?? Do you know if the g21 motor shares any parts with other models. New to the Yamaha scene.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:47 PM   #4
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Here is a picture of a g22 governor setup and the bracket in question. Should be the same as yours I would think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (110.7 KB, 0 views)
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:59 PM   #5
Mr. Mike
It's Beer Time!

Yamaha

It appears to me that the bracket w/ the nut that holds back the cable is bend pretty good. You probably should try to bend it straight. It straight in dbmachine's pic. and it looks like the cable is pointed down Cdebo1's pic.
Mr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:03 PM   #6
dbmachine
Gone Wild

To me the throttle cables looks brand new in the picture judging by how shiny the silver pieces are on the cable. The bracket is bent down. Looks like it should be bent up so that the cable is running straight across to the governor arm. Not sure that this would be the reason for back firing.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:06 PM   #7
dbmachine
Gone Wild

All the post I've ever read dealing with a backfire situation was from the butterfly not closing completely when letting off the pedal. I guess the way the bracket is bent down it could be binding up somehow so that the spring can do its job and close the butterfly when not on the throttle.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:33 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The cable mount there looks bent to me. A cable should always come out straight or it will fray against the housing at some point.

Backfire can be carb open, carb idle jet too lean, carb idle speed too high or too low sometimes. Air box or intake leak, muffler leak.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:50 PM   #9
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

The cable and spring should be straight and parallel. It will probably need to be adjusted after straightening the bracket...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:09 AM   #10
Cdebo1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Thanks DB. the cables are all new and the bracket just didn't look right to me as well I will straighten and readjust cables. What I was doing to see the butterfly was removing the air box just slid the carb off the seat ever so slightly to see the butterfly and adjusted. I will set it this weekend and see. Thanks for all the help for the cart gods here at BGW. !!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha