lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2015, 09:57 AM   #1
bigdaddybama
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Less high speed and lower low speed

Hello,
We just purchased a 2003 Yamaha Gas g-16 golf cart. It has a lift kit (i do not know what kind nor how high) and 22x11-10 tires. We bought it to go the the pool and back and take the garbage to the garbage bin at our condo at the beach. There are speed bumps all through out the complex. When I dove it at high speed (20+ mph gps) it started swerving and felt a little unstable. In searching the forums everyone seems to want more speed. I would actually prefer less high end speed and a little lower low end speed. What i mean is when going over the speed bumps there seems to be a position on the gas peddle where the starter is running the cart and not the engine. I would like to be able to travel a little slower if that makes since .

I do not know much about golf carts, yet, and the cart is 100 miles away so I only get weekends to make adjustments. Any links, advice, and/or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Mark
bigdaddybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-19-2015, 02:54 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Less high speed and lower low speed

There are high torque/low speed gears available for just such an application. They do require some work to install, if you are not a gearhead, a shop might be best choice for installation.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:18 PM   #3
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Some easy inexpensive mods would be to make sure your throttle linkage is adjusted properly. You may be having to press the pedal to the floor a lot further than need be to fire the engine. Also a new heavy duty wider belt will give you some better low end bite. 45-50$ for the belt. And finally a clutch spring tha will give you better bottom end power. The stiffer spring will allow the cart to rev more rpms before actually moving.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:37 PM   #4
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmachine View Post
Some easy inexpensive mods would be to make sure your throttle linkage is adjusted properly. You may be having to press the pedal to the floor a lot further than need be to fire the engine. Also a new heavy duty wider belt will give you some better low end bite. 45-50$ for the belt. And finally a clutch spring tha will give you better bottom end power. The stiffer spring will allow the cart to rev more rpms before actually moving.

Yep. Yamaha U-Max spring will work well. 90508-45849-00
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:55 PM   #5
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

You can also jump the the pedal switch and the engine can run at about 800 rpms which is quite slow.We did this on my yamaha and my brother in law's harley. This makes for much more pleasant street driving.But both of us are the sole drivers of these carts so we are are of the safety issues of just using the key start.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:06 PM   #6
bigdaddybama
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for all of the responses.

Are there any instructions to make sure the throttle linkage is adjusted properly?

How difficult is it to remove the secondary clutch to upgrade to the u-max spring?

How do I go about jumping the pedal switch? What would the safety issues be?

Sorry about all of the questions but I am really new to this golf cart community.

Thanks,
Mark
bigdaddybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:51 PM   #7
jeff70
Gone Wild
Yamaha

To remove the secondary you will need a puller,
https://www.cartpartsplus.com/tune-u...-clutch-puller

it is a simple job with the puller
jeff70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:23 PM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The pedal switch is under the floor boards near the pedals.With it jumped when you turn on the ignition key the engine starts and runs until you turn it off.You just need to be aware that just lifting off the gas will not shut the engine down, but you can really run the cart with little or no speed with the engine still on.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:32 PM   #9
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff70 View Post
To remove the secondary you will need a puller,
https://www.cartpartsplus.com/tune-u...-clutch-puller

it is a simple job with the puller
You can see a yamaha g16 secondary spring change on youtube.Even with the puller I would call it a medium job with putting it back together with the preload and compressing the the spring while installing the key in the input shaft.If you change spring I would certainly replace the snap ring on the input shaft with the more durable spacer.Also helps having a decent snap ring tool helps in this job.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:43 PM   #10
jeff70
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Might be a little more involved for someones first time, took me about 15 minutes or so to install my umax spring, Now that white pos torque spring was a major pain.

either way bigdaddy it is something you can do yourself without much trouble
jeff70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha