lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2015, 06:07 PM   #11
MrBoooots
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1983 EZGO rarely start?? Need help....

I will look into the fuel pump and seals tomorrow after work. I have tried with choke but no difference... Just sounds a little more "boggy". As for how I got it. It was my dads cart for the lake house... He has been using it for the past few years... Worked good last year, starter has new brushes etc and it was stored under cover for winter. I have a fairy big yard so I thought I would buy it and get it working when he didn't have the time to fix
MrBoooots is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2015, 11:34 PM   #12
racin161
Gone Wild

Just a test Try a new plug

Lou
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:42 PM   #13
MrBoooots
Not Yet Wild

It has a brand new plug in it :)
Old 08-05-2015, 10:12 PM   #14
MrBoooots
Not Yet Wild

So I actually got it to start! Odd thing was it is something in the exhaust? I disconnected the exhaust pipe and it instantly start... Ever heard of this? and whats the best approach to fix without having to buy a new one? Thanks for all the help by the way, this whole forum has been packed full of good information...
Old 08-06-2015, 05:10 PM   #15
MrBoooots
Not Yet Wild

Here is an example of what is going on... Driving me nuts!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9-f...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-06-2015, 10:13 PM   #16
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Pumping the gas like that isn't doing you any good. There is no accelerator pump to squirt any extra gas in there.

Pumping the pedal opens, and closes the throttle plate, and keeps shutting off your ignition, nothing more.

Removing the exhaust relieved some back pressure, which makes me lean more towards crankshaft seals.

If a clogged exhaust was the problem, it would run more consistent with the exhaust off. If that was the problem, a muffler barbecue would fix it. Lots of threads on here about that.

I still say check your fuel pump diaphragms, and spray some starting fluid behind your clutch, and flywheel while it is running.

The videos are great for troubleshooting. It helps a lot.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:51 PM   #17
MrBoooots
Not Yet Wild

I did check the fuel pump, took it all apart cleaned it etc and it looked good. I took pictures of it if you would like to see. Would you recommend checking seals now? Or could it possibly be the ignition coil isnt giving a strong enough spark?
Old 08-07-2015, 09:02 AM   #18
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Pull the plug, squirt some gas into the cylinder, and see if it tries to run. That should eliminate any doubt about the spark.

Somebody else might have to jump in to help you. I'm going to be gone for 2 days.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:33 PM   #19
nhwing
Not Yet Wild

My 86 marathon sounded like that when I got it. Would only run with the choke pulled and not too consistent or well at that. Prior owner parked it for the winter and come spring it wouldn't go.. He replaced Carb, Fuel pump, Plug and Coil still no go... I found that the four nuts (2 accessible from the top 2 from below) that hold the cylinder to the crankcase had loosened up just enough that the fuel pump could not develop enough vacuum to pump enough fuel to keep the engine running. When I pulled them back up tight the cart took off like a scalded cat..( the governor was also missing). Lucked out with a no$$$ fix.
nhwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:32 AM   #20
flashesbuck
Not Yet Wild

Sounds like you have trouble shoot'd almost everything, so you need to start re-testing some items.

From the videos it sounds like its not getting fuel (wild guess). Take the inlet tub to the carb off (hose between carb and filter)... Then spray either gas, or starter fluid right down the neck of the carb as its spinning.

If it fires right off, then we know its a fuel problem and not an ignition issue.
flashesbuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1983, ezgo, start
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO