lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2015, 02:28 PM   #1
src7253
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Motor getting HOT

I have a 98 Club Card DS 48 volt. I just installed a new AMD 5.5hp motor and it gets really hot after running for about 15 minutes. I bought the motor because it said it would run with stock controller, solenoid, cables, and F/R switch. I have 6 awg wires and stock curtis 275 amp controller. What would cause the motor to get so hot? the controller is barely warm.
src7253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-25-2015, 12:42 PM   #2
src7253
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Motor getting HOT

Will changing cables to 4 awg wires and heavy duty F/R switch help this issue?
Old 09-25-2015, 02:46 PM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Motors get hot. Changing cables will not help motor temperature.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:52 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Sometimes we get the wrong motor for our needs and the motor is stuck in high amperage draw which tends to produce excess heat. ????

I don't know enough about your cart or your use to say for sure
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:14 PM   #5
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by src7253 View Post
I have a 98 Club Card DS 48 volt. I just installed a new AMD 5.5hp motor and it gets really hot after running for about 15 minutes. I bought the motor because it said it would run with stock controller, solenoid, cables, and F/R switch. I have 6 awg wires and stock curtis 275 amp controller. What would cause the motor to get so hot? the controller is barely warm.
Was the motor listed to work on your cart? Could be high speed motor that needs more amp.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:08 PM   #6
src7253
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yes this motor was listed for my cart. This motor is also listed as being able to work with stock controller. It is a high speed motor. I do notice the wires coming from the switch to motor get pretty hot. When I say the motor gets hot I mean to the point it started acting funny to where I had to half throttle it home. It was fully charged. I live in golf cart community and use this everyday to take my kids to school and pick them up as well as any other place in community. I am in process of replacing F&R switch and all cables to 4awg.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:31 PM   #7
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Think of it this way.

You have a car with a manual transmission. You put it in high gear. You drive around slow. The engine will be under a heavy load, it will get hot.

Put it in 1st gear, you car drive around slow with no problem. If you drive fast and rev the engine you can damage it.

It's all a matter of the proper motor for the type of driving you plan to do most.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:58 PM   #8
cartattach
Gone Wild
Club Car

You need to upgrade your cables. The cables are the basis for a solid foundation building a cart. Having poor cables means that everything else could be made from gold and still fail because the current isn't traveling freely to function. Change to a minimum 4AWG.
cartattach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:21 AM   #9
src7253
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you Cartattach! I am in process of doing that now I just ran out of cables. I have all the batteries and the main positive to solenoid, solenoid to controller controller to motor done as well as main negative to controller. Do all cables from the F&R switch need to be 4 awg as well?
Old 10-02-2015, 05:16 PM   #10
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

In one word, yes. All power cables need to be the same gauge.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car