lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2016, 06:56 PM   #1
Dmaxowner
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default New owner G1 build up

So I am new to this whole cart world. I've been working for Chevy for the past 10 years.
Well I acquired a G1 cart. It has no engine. Just what looks to me like a rear diff. I have been looking around and I guess there is supposed to be a clutch like a CVT on the rear end. I was gonna weld a sprocket to it and call it good and go direct drive with it. Until a buddy told me I can't do that I will blow it up.
So I have looked around and have found that I can replace the clutch. But do I have to use a G1 clutch assembly? Can I use a G2 assembly? The other thing is. I am not putting in another Yamaha engine. I will be installing a 380cc 2 stroke Rotax engine from a snow mobil. Then is it smart for me to use this CVT style clutch. The snow mobil runs a sprocket and a clutch on the engine.

So any info or input will help a lot.
Dmaxowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2016, 07:07 PM   #2
Dmaxowner
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: New owner G1 build up

So can someone tell me the difference between the G1 and G2? I know that the G1 was a 2 stroke and G2 was a 4 stroke. But chassis wise etc?
Old 08-02-2016, 07:29 PM   #3
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

No reverse on the G1. 2 strokers spin backwards for reverse.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:09 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

that includes some differences on the rear clutch. the spring seat on a G1 had plastic shoes to take loads in both spinnning directions, the G2 spring seat only had seats to deal with forward spinning direction (a 4 cycle engine only spins one direction). while folks may say "Oh-No, never", i think you could get away with a G2 rear clutch, given the little overall time spent in reverse compared to forward. also, the 4 cycle rear clutch springs used a twist in the spring to keep it located against the shoe ramps it had (spring has tangs to locate the spring, and is twisted during installation). 2 stroke spring did not have any built in twist to hold the sliding sheave towards the spring seat in the direction it was spinning, they knew it was spinning both ways & the 4 cycle engine was to come later. keep in mind this stuff was loosely borrowed from their snow mobile theorys, modified for lower rpms to suit the desires of the golf customer. if you plan to tow your boat up the boat ramp in reverse with this thing, forget using the 4 cycle clutch.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:33 PM   #5
Dmaxowner
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

My plan is to try to not to kill myself in this thing. It won't be pulling anything at all. It is being built purely for enjoyment. Running through the desert, fire roads, and to have with my trailer when we go camping. I am using a sled engine. So would it be wise of me to just run the G1 clutch? Being that the sliding sheave broke when removing it. I am just unsure if I really need to use that clutch. Reverse would be nice to have and being a 2 stroke. I can use that ability of reverse rotation. But I also want a clutch that can handle the power and RPM's the sled engine will put out.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha