lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2017, 03:34 PM   #21
HBR
Gone Wild

Default Re: Tune up and speeding up a 02 DS with FE350

I am putting a '97+ Club Car rear end in that Yamaha, so I didn't have to worry about to I keep it in the cart or not.

As I've gotten older I think I've gotten smarter. I would rather take some extra time and get the rear end out so I could work on it standing up and using gravity as my friend. I personally wouldn't want to try to swap the gears with the rear end in the cart.

The gears don't slide in independently. You put a couple in loosely and then work them into place together. I wouldn't want to do that laying under the cart with gravity working against me just to save some time. With the case out and on its side that part is a piece of cake.

There used to be a great video of installing HS gears in this exact rear end by Porcellato Engineering. But it looks like they pulled that video down. You could do the swap with just the video. Too bad.
HBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2017, 05:15 PM   #22
ClubHumvee
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBR View Post
I am putting a '97+ Club Car rear end in that Yamaha, so I didn't have to worry about to I keep it in the cart or not.

As I've gotten older I think I've gotten smarter. I would rather take some extra time and get the rear end out so I could work on it standing up and using gravity as my friend. I personally wouldn't want to try to swap the gears with the rear end in the cart.

The gears don't slide in independently. You put a couple in loosely and then work them into place together. I wouldn't want to do that laying under the cart with gravity working against me just to save some time. With the case out and on its side that part is a piece of cake.

There used to be a great video of installing HS gears in this exact rear end by Porcellato Engineering. But it looks like they pulled that video down. You could do the swap with just the video. Too bad.
I just tried every which way possible to find any working link or info on Porcellatto. Everything is gone. Sucks.

I'll just drop the whole thing. It'll take longer, but I can do the drive and driven spring all at the same time.
ClubHumvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:59 PM   #23
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Whoa... all of Porcellato Engineering stuff is shut down!
YouTube, Facebook... everything!
I was going to link the YT video that HBR mentioned... Nuthin! (somethings up!)

I've seen the video a number of times, and it doesn't look THAT difficult to swap the gears out! (with the transaxle off of the cart)
Peruse through the Illustrated Parts List attachment below,
some of the exploded views of the transaxle may give you an idea what to look for!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 01-02-DS IPL.pdf (10.66 MB, 0 views)
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:45 PM   #24
ClubHumvee
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post

I've seen the video a number of times, and it doesn't look THAT difficult to swap the gears out! (with the transaxle off of the cart)
some of the exploded views of the transaxle may give you an idea what to look for!

Thank you Lockman.

That's incredibly helpful.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:43 PM   #25
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:

Yeah, it's all been down a few weeks now AFAIK. Emailed Brad two weeks back about some info on a rebuild and haven't heard a thing. Went looking around and everything was gone. Tried to call and got no answer. Dunno what happened, but they seem to have dropped off the grid.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:53 PM   #26
ClubHumvee
Not Yet Wild

So just wanted to keep you all updated. I know it's been a while and it's going to be slow. But I travel extensively for work and have toddler triplets at home.

Step one was the tach and stock readings. I installed a Tiny Tach. With the Tach set at 360 ( one spark per revolution) I'm reading 900-1000 at idle and 3000-3200 rpm at top end.

The speedometer on my phone. Reads 15 mph going up hill, 18-19 cruising flat. And 20-21 mph going down hill at top end.

Don't know if these numbers match up with everyone's stock settings.

Next step is to install the power kit (ignition idle and idle spring in the clutch).

Waiting on confirmation if my bolt loosens CC or CCW?

Step three will be the KN air filter.

Step four will be the high torque spring on the rear clutch.

And lastly, I'll install the new high speed gears.

I'm going to go from easiest to hardest so I don't get frustrated upfront.

I'll take new reading after the BGW performance kit is fully installed.

Then I'll make my minor adjustments to the governor.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:39 PM   #27
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

I answered your question in the other thread, Clockwise to loosen the drive clutch bolt, (reverse threads)
and just in case... it's counterclockwise to remove the driven clutch bolt. (standard threads)

Old 06-04-2017, 02:00 PM   #28
ClubHumvee
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
I answered your question in the other thread, Clockwise to loosen the drive clutch bolt, (reverse threads)
and just in case... it's counterclockwise to remove the driven clutch bolt. (standard threads)

Just finished lifting the cart.

There plastic label on the clutch that exactly that. Nice.

Lockman, thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170604_145842.jpg (145.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-04-2017, 02:29 PM   #29
ClubHumvee
Not Yet Wild

Do I need to drop the engine to get the clutch out? It appears that it'll hit the leaf spring when I remove pull it out. Clearance seems tight.

Also, I think I asked before, without an impact wrench, is there a way to hold this in place while I break the bolt loose?
Old 06-04-2017, 02:45 PM   #30
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

No... the engine crankshaft is pretty short, you should have clearance to remove the clutch without dropping the engine pan.

I added a pdf of a 2005 service manual, granted it's for an FE290,
so there's some info you can't use because you have an FE350,
But it STILL will be useful, just the same!

On page 17-2, you'll see some of the tools needed... one of them is a "Drive clutch holding tool"
I didn't have an impact wrench, so I made one out of a piece of flat steel... and It worked, and still works perfect!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 05 DS MS manual.pdf (10.07 MB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car