lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2017, 04:37 PM   #1
frankysfree
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default question about Vanguard engine interchange

I have a 2009 Club Car 950 XRT with the 14hp Vanguard Vtwin engine with electric start. The engine is bad and apparently its discontinued through Club Car but I see lots of 16+18hp Vanguard vtwin engines for sale new online and wondering if any would drop right in without mods to the CVT or anything. Just looking to get a new engine as affordable as possible.
frankysfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2017, 07:42 PM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: question about Vanguard engine interchange

Welcome. The 14 and 16 hp Vanguards are identical in size, 479cc/30cu in. The 18 is a little larger, 570cc/35cu in. The 16 should be a direct drop-in.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:01 PM   #3
frankysfree
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
Welcome. The 14 and 16 hp Vanguards are identical in size, 479cc/30cu in. The 18 is a little larger, 570cc/35cu in. The 16 should be a direct drop-in.
Thanks. All the 16hp ones I see have the starter switch on the engine. Do I just use the parts off the old engine to install it? Also I read something about it being a tapered shaft factory and the ones I see are 1" shaft.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:06 AM   #4
frankysfree
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Im ready to buy an engine but I need to know about the output shaft whether its supposed to be tapered or straight keyed for the stock cvt. Input anyone?
Old 08-03-2017, 11:43 AM   #5
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

There is an adapter available that allows you to use your tapered clutch on on a 1" straight shaft. I have no experience with them. You could replace your primary clutch with a 1" replacement. You may get more opinions if you post this in the Big Block forum.

https://www.vegascarts.com/tapered-c...el-p/stsa1.htm
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:44 AM   #6
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Have you tried pulling the old clutch off yet? If you take the end bolt out of the crankshaft and the clutch slides off I'll bet it's a straight shaft. You will need a clutch puller tool if it's tapered. Either way it has to come off sooner or later....
That and some pictures would help us determine what you have now.
I have no experience with that model cart.
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:06 PM   #7
beater cart
Gone Wild

And you can use any vanguard from 14-23hp will fit as long as it has the same pto shaft style. The only thing that would be a slight hick up would be a 21-23 HP has a different exhaust pattern.
beater cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:10 PM   #8
frankysfree
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have not pulled anything apart yet. It has a very loud tick/knock from the front of the engine/cylinder. I guess Ill pull the cvt cover and see if the output shaft is straight or tapered and order the adapter if its tapered.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:18 PM   #9
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankysfree View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have not pulled anything apart yet. It has a very loud tick/knock from the front of the engine/cylinder. I guess Ill pull the cvt cover and see if the output shaft is straight or tapered and order the adapter if its tapered.

Or just buy a new engine with the 1" straight shaft and get a 780R clutch. What's another $250.00???

So, is the engine still running OK? Just making the noise?
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:40 PM   #10
frankysfree
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintrock View Post
Or just buy a new engine with the 1" straight shaft and get a 780R clutch. What's another $250.00???

So, is the engine still running OK? Just making the noise?
$$$. lol

It wouldnt run wide open and spit and sputtered. Checked valve lash and it was so loose(like .20"-.30") that Im surprised it started and ran at all. After that was set the oil was changed which looked like it had never been before and maybe half a qt came out and after like two jaunts down the block and back it started making the noise and dying. It only stays running if you give it gas and the noise is super loud so I figure its time to change the engine. I did pull valve covers and recheck the valve lash and it was good but a couple valves had loosened up more even though the lash adjusters were tight so Im assuming the cam is going from the valves hammering on it from being so loose for so long...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car