lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2017, 09:45 PM   #1
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default Full Hydraulic Disc Brakes

I've talk about this forever and now it's coming together. I have gotten another G2 transaxle to work on the bench with and setup my ideas. First I'm going to do a complete transmission rebuild. Replace all bearings and seals. Going to upgrade the gears to a 8 to 1 gear set.
I'm building caliper supports that holds a Jake's Brake caliper. Then I checked on WilWood Brakes site and found the same calipers from the kits but with a cable parking brake. I have a master cylinder that is made for 4 wheel disc brakes. I'm using bolt-on AN3 banjo fittings on bulk stainless braided Teflon brake line to make perfect fit brake lines. Once I have the top calipers set up 100% I want to use the original caliper supports and add a second caliper to each side. 2 disc brake units one with a parking brake. I already have Jake's Brakes on the front -- this will make it fully hydraulic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5273.JPG (234.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5276.JPG (236.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5280.JPG (232.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5286.JPG (237.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5282.JPG (227.5 KB, 0 views)
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2017, 09:41 AM   #2
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Full Hydraulic Disc Brakes

I realize that this is early in your design phase, but how are you going to position the caliper over the disk. On my cart I have the Team axle in the rear and the Jake's hydraulic on the front and if needed I can lock up all four wheels. So I question the need for dual calipers on the rear. I like the work you have done so far and good luck with your project.
LimitedEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:26 PM   #3
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Nice work shepard........... I look forward to seeing it finished. I've been thinking about some type of disc brake set up for my carts as well.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:08 PM   #4
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedEdition View Post
I realize that this is early in your design phase, but how are you going to position the caliper over the disk. On my cart I have the Team axle in the rear and the Jake's hydraulic on the front and if needed I can lock up all four wheels. So I question the need for dual calipers on the rear. I like the work you have done so far and good luck with your project.
The axles were not pushed in and locked in the pictures. I'm waiting for new countersunk bolts for the caliper support, the bolts that hold the rotor on the adapter stud need clearance. The reason for 2 calipers per wheel is that I'm going to run a very large tire, at least 24 inches on the rear. I'm working on a long term project, adding all the necessary upgrades required for applying for a vin number to license it as a regular vehicle. As of now it is licensed as a utv and insured so I can get around on our back roads with atv signs. I want to be able to run it to town in the futher.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:15 AM   #5
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Do you think it will be easy to sync the application pressure and keep it there over time as the pads wear? Bigger calipers or all hydraulic would seem to have been simpler, no? Great undertaking, btw!
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:02 PM   #6
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Well I have one disc caliper setup and working, sorry no pictures yet. When I get the right side done I'll post some photos. I miscalculated a measurement and had to replace 4 of the fancy wheel studs from a Jake's brake kit. 78.00 later I had 4 studs and 4 nuts on there way. I hate making mistakes. I decided to use a proportioning valve in the rear -- the master cylinder is made for 4 wheel disc system in an Audi. I'll post some pictures late today.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:09 PM   #7
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

I was able to finish the second caliper setup this afternoon and get it mounted. I put it together in a mock up of what it may look like when it's finished. Hopefully when its finished completely there will be a second caliper 180 degrees on the bottom. I need a parking brake for what I'm building so I'm buying the companion caliper to the ones that come it the kits but have a cable park brake. I've been debating in my mind about buying high speed gears or going with 25 inch street tires. The tires themselves will be like having 8-1 gears over the 20 inch tires I'm running now. As it is now I have more power then the cart needs so I can see it turning 25" tires with no issues.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wilwood-120-...tVQaiT&vxp=mtr

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Aero-5...BS-,91797.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5304.JPG (230.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5307.JPG (235.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5313.JPG (240.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5314.JPG (236.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5319.JPG (234.5 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha