lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #1
Langdon4204
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G22a randomly stops running

Hi, so I got my golf cart out of storage and change the oil and what not for the year. Used it for 9 holes. Went to use it again today and it started normal (with the choke) drove it for about 10 seconds and then it stopped and started to kind of sputter and wouldn't run. Keeps basically doing this repeatedly. Can someone please give me an idea of where to look to fix this issue. Here's a link to a video I recorded to give a better idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDFGzaplUgQ

Thanks.
Langdon4204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2018, 04:47 PM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G22a randomly stops running

Get it to act up and turn if over for about thirty seconds and pull the spark plug and see if it's wet or dry if it's dry it's fuel issue and if it's wet it's ignition issue and we can go from there
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:24 PM   #3
Langdon4204
Not Yet Wild

Well what i've done so far is pulled the air filter box off and the hose from the fuel pump to the carburetor. Fuel seems to be coming through the fuel pump normal. When I spray a tiny bit of starting fluid down the air intake or whatever the hell it's called the engine runs normal for a split second. Haven't touched the spark plug yet.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:23 PM   #4
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If it's fires with starting fluid is a fuel issue since you have checked the fuel pump it's likely a carb issue take it apart and clean it paying special attention to the needle and float sounds like it's sticking
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:17 AM   #5
Chilly
Getting Wild
Yamaha

My bet is your ethanol fuel separated so it'll start, slurp up some water that separated out, then sputter. Water fall back to bottom of bowl. Try again, starts, sputters, dies, water falls back to bottom of bowl. Dump your fuel bowl and see what happens.

I've started running non-ethanol in everything except my cars. I also like fuel stabilizer, and occasionally run some gas with Sea Foam to get in front of any fuel system cleanliness issues.

Chilly
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:53 AM   #6
Langdon4204
Not Yet Wild

When you say dump the fuel bowl, are you sayinf to empty the gas tsnk snd put new gas in there? Or something else? Thanks.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:25 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langdon4204 View Post
When you say dump the fuel bowl, are you sayinf to empty the gas tsnk snd put new gas in there? Or something else? Thanks.
I'd do both. If it sat for any length of time it's probably best to drain the tank.

Also take the carburetor off, hold it upside down and dump all the gas out of it and then put it back on. If you can clear the fuel lines too it would be best. Then refill with fresh gas and you'll probably be fine. You may have to take the carb apart and clean it real well (I would) but if you're not comfortable doing that, I'd first try just dumping everything out and trying fresh gas.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:14 AM   #8
Chilly
Getting Wild
Yamaha

And to get the tank rid of water you'll need to get it COMPLETELY dry because the separated water will obviously be in the very bottom. I'd mop out the bottom with blue shop towels on a "bilge picker". Not sure what they're really called. Those wands with retractable pincers. Or remove the tank, dump, and let dry in the sun until bone dry.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:41 AM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

IF it's just got water in the tank, then drain it all the way. Put in some fresh gas, shake it around real well and drain it immediately. This should take care of any remaining water in the tank, or at least any that would cause problems.

However, depending on how long it sat, there may be varnish deposits gummed up in the bottom. IT doesn't take long for it to gum up, especially if water has been present.

When I clean gas tanks that are real bad, I use TSP, you can get it pretty much anywhere. Dump in about a half a bottle (maybe a full bottle for larger tanks) and shake it around real good. IF it's got a nice coating of gummed up gunk in the bottom, I'll throw in about a foot of chain as well. People use nuts/bolts but i find it a lot easier to remove a chain :)

Shake it around real good, let it sit for 30 min. Shake it around and let it sit another 30 min. Then shake it one last time dump it out, and remove the chain. Remove the outlet and gas cap, and spray the inside out real good with a garden hose. Really rinse it out good. Then once it stops coming out foamy, i'll stick the garden hose inside it and let it run for 20 minutes or so until nothing but clean water comes out.

Then drain it, blow as much as you can out with compressed air, and let the sun take care of the rest. It'll take a good day for it to dry out all the way, but once it does It'll be squeaky clean.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:17 PM   #10
Langdon4204
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the help. I pulled thr carburetor off and gave it a good cleaning and then drained the gas, cleaned the tank and put in fresh non ethanol. So far it seems to have done the trick.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha