lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2019, 07:50 PM   #11
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: ISO Subaru EX40 Club Car Precedent Throttle Body in Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
I recently went through a class with both engines, I can tell you I wouldn't own anything with that Subaru engine. The fact that all those parts have to replaced at one time it total BS and just a bad design. Im sure when new they are fine but just the thought of a design like this is a total turn off.
I thought I was told that Subaru sold these engine off to Suzuki? but I could be wrong or fed bad info.

The Kohler engine, while still new seems like its going to be a good setup. Its amazing to me that they are injecting engines this small and that they require diag software like cars. Briggs is doin this as well. My push mower will be injected before I know it. Again I was impressed with the Briggs design.

The mules, atleast the ones we have at work seem to chew up throttle bodies. I cant count how many we have had replaced under warranty. A few have had the ECU replaced as well but TB's seem to be the common issue. Another crap design and another cart I wouldnt own if given for free.
Subaru sold their small engine division to Yamaha. Thus, no more Subaru engine for Club Car. And as I said before, Subaru EX40 engines are near bulletproof. But Subaru did not design the EFI system.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2020, 09:06 AM   #12
bthucknall
Not Yet Wild

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I wanted to comment that it is possible, and in fact easy to switch these engines to a carburetor. I had a customer whose cart was flooded and it ruined the map sensor in the throttle body, when I went to look for the parts it was gonna cost 2500 from the dealer, couldn't find any used parts, this was last year and I'm guessing that this system isn't old enough yet for those parts to have hit ebay yet. I bought a cheap ex40 carb from amazon and had it installed with only slight modification to the throttle linkage. Wired a low pressure fuel pump into the existing fuel pump wires, and just unplugged the unused components and rolled that part of the wiring harness up. you would have to install a pull chord for the choke, but the customer didn't want any extra holes in the body so I didn't do that, the weather here is pretty mild and it doesn't really need a choke. You need the ecu so it will still run the ignition, but its not a complicated system and doubt that it does anything with the spark other than turn it off when it hits the rev limit. The cart runs well, with no hesitation and what seems to be more power, but it does flash codes for the open circuits of the removed components. The customer is very pleased with the cart, and the whole conversion didn't take me any more than 4 hours. Alot of that time was just fabricating a new pickup for the gas tank.
bthucknall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:47 AM   #13
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

They don't *make* a carburetor for the EX40. It was never made with one so no backward compatibility. You can make the 13HP Kawasaki RXV/TXT engine that's EFI run on carb only since it's just the throttle body and a few electronics on the cart that converts it run on a carburetor easily, but not the EX40.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:55 AM   #14
FloridaCart
Getting Wild
Club Car

BThucknall , Thanks for info. could you put a link to the carb that you used off ebay or a part number. I personally have two of the Subaru EFI's carts that are running great but you never know when something might fail.
FloridaCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:11 PM   #15
bthucknall
Not Yet Wild

carb: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Its not available any more but i just replaced a carb on a miller welder powered with an EX40 with this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fuel pump: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When i disconnected the stock fuel pump I soldered a new wiring conector in line for the new pump, incase they ever want to return it to stock the original connector and pump is still there. These were the conectors i used:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-06-2020, 06:41 AM   #16
FloridaCart
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthucknall View Post
carb: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Its not available any more but i just replaced a carb on a miller welder powered with an EX40 with this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fuel pump: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When i disconnected the stock fuel pump I soldered a new wiring conector in line for the new pump, incase they ever want to return it to stock the original connector and pump is still there. These were the conectors i used:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for all the part numbers......
FloridaCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:43 PM   #17
bthucknall
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
They don't *make* a carburetor for the EX40. It was never made with one so no backward compatibility. You can make the 13HP Kawasaki RXV/TXT engine that's EFI run on carb only since it's just the throttle body and a few electronics on the cart that converts it run on a carburetor easily, but not the EX40.
The ex40 has been used in many applications other than golf carts, most of them with carburetors. All the carbs have the same body and odd plastic insert in the fuel bowl, which has a complicated rubber gasket that likes to swell with chemicals or tear when not inserted correctly. they come with different main jets, ranging from, I believe, #90 to #120. I used the same main jet size as my miller welder because i didn't know if i could make it work and wanted to be able to use the parts myself if need be. Its been working well for about 9 months now.
The subaru part number for one of these carbs is 20B-62301-00. If you search that number it will come up with subaru's websites for parts, subarupower.com.
Old 09-08-2023, 09:35 AM   #18
the_tool_man
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sorry to bring up an old thread. But I'm facing the same scenario.

Has anyone done this carb retrofit and successfully run it in a cart? I've been looking at engine swaps that use HF engines and so forth. Many times the carbs on these engines are designed for fixed-throttle operation, and don't have the same drivability of the OEM solution. I'd like to know if anyone has actual experience retrofitting a carb, and confirmation that the above part number works. Thanks.
the_tool_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 06:57 PM   #19
Scooter Bob
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Here's a link to a thread, with some of the info you seek...

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...=154721&page=2

I would strongly suggest you read through all the posts, paying special attention from post #12 on.
Scooter Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 11:17 PM   #20
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Failing that, just search ebay. There are complete new EX40 carb, electric start engines available for less than 500 bucks. All you will need to do is match a drive clutch to the crank. Would be a simple swap and removes any need to use existing electrics.
No different to using a clone engine.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car