lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2019, 06:34 PM   #11
gunwhatgun
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: What would happen??

Yeah backing down from full rev is not my issue. Mine refuses to go uphill. I can floor it and the engine does not gain a single RPM. on level ground it does ok but cant keep up with my stock electric cart.
gunwhatgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2019, 08:38 PM   #12
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

From a stop, its NOT going to accelerate like an electric cart. Electric are instant "go". Gas takes a second or few to start, spin up, clutch to grab, etc. By the time a gas cart starts to move an electric will already be moving and gone. An electric will get to top speed much more quickly as well, stock vs stock.

However, you should still have no problems climbing hills. Many times this is just a worn belt. New belt alone will fix that. However if you get the clutch machined by CPP orsomeone, it will only get better from there.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:19 PM   #13
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
The governor is not crucial to the rear end.

Removing it and running the cable direct to carb is not a good idea, however.

You're not going to instantly blow up the engine as said above. It WILL accelerate engine wear, but no more than zip tying or tightening the governor spring down all the way.

These carts have a rev limiter built into the ignitor. So it's not going to over rev and explode.

However... it's not a good idea to bypass the governor. It is meant to work together with the rev limiter for optimal performance. the governor regulates speed of the cart. The ignitor regulates speed of the engine. If you bypass the governor, and run the throttle straight to the carb, you will lose speed control and have to do that with your foot. Not so easy to do, because what will end up happening is you'll go just a tad bit fast and hit the rev limiter. So it will kill spark and kill the engine for a few seconds. Then it will pick back up again and run until it hits the limit. Lather, rinse, repeat.

A tach would be helpful to keep you from hitting the rev limiter and the engine cutting out but you're really much better off just cranking down the bolt on the governor spring. If that doesnt give you the speed you're looking for then get bigger tires or speed gears and clutch upgrades

Wow, I didn't know that. Glad my 2 cycle doesn't have a rev limiter.....

Great splainin' Lucy
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:34 PM   #14
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
Wow, I didn't know that. Glad my 2 cycle doesn't have a rev limiter.....

Great splainin' Lucy
If I recall correctly, and from what I had read in the past (it's been a while since I had to deal with it... I had a TXT with a bad ignitor that kept hitting the rev limiter, replacing the ignitor fixed the cart), some of the really early 295's didn't have a rev limiter built into the ignitor. but 99% of them will

I don't know about the robins 2 strokes, but most 2 strokes do still have some sort of rev limiter. it's just set a lot higher than a 4 stroke would be, because there's no valves to float and drop, springs to break, etc. Most 2 stroke ATV's and stuff you can find hi-rev CDI modules that raise that rev limiter a couple thousand RPM but it's still there :)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO