lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2019, 08:38 AM   #1
flyn.brian
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 1998 EZGO Engine Specs/Info/Help

Hey guys I just sold my Yamaha G29 Gas Beach Cruiser I built and looking for a 6 seater now to build. I found a 1998 EXGO Gas for a good price in good shape but I don't know anything about them. Can you guys tell me where I can find specs on motor and if they are good engines. Any known issues with these models? What I should look for when I am there test driving it today? What HP do they have and what kind of speed can I get out of it since I am building a beach cart top speed kinda important. Thanks
flyn.brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2019, 08:49 AM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1998 EZGO Engine Specs/Info/Help

Good motor if it's not used up, 2 cylinder Robins (by Subaru) most are 350cc in the limo's. You're not going to break any speed limits.

If it don't have a lift, a lift and bigger tires will get you going a little faster. Also beware it will take about a half acre of beach to make a U turn.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:39 AM   #3
flyn.brian
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoveBolt View Post
Good motor if it's not well used, they have a 2 cylinder Robins (by Subaru) most have a 350cc in the limo's. You're not going to break any speed limits.

If it don't have a lift, a lift and bigger tires will get you going a little faster. Also beware it will take about a half acre of beach to make a U turn.
Good to know, it does have a 6" lift and looks like 22-23" tires, will it do 20mph atleast? Why does it take half an acre to turn around? because of turning radius or just the length? Thanks
flyn.brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:56 AM   #4
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

20 maybe with a governor adjustment.. turning radius.

A compression test will tell you a lot about the motor.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:58 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

It should be able to make it close to 20mph, but it's going to take it a decent while to get there. especially if it's loaded with people.

Turning radius of the ezgo's are not great in general, let alone the longer ones.

If you want a good turning radius, get a club car transporter. The turning radius of the carryall/transporter models really can't be beat. I have a carryall and had (sold) a ST350 workhorse. The carryall would turn in almost half the overall radius of the workhorse. Not to say the workhorse was terrible (still better than my Gator) but it didn't come close to the CC.

The 350cc robins/subaru is a great motor and they will last pretty much forever as long as it's taken care of. You'll want to check the valve clearance, and the 2 intake valves (in the middle) in particular. The intake valves have a tendency to wear down, you'll notice this when they're adjusted to spec and they have a lot more threads showing on top of the adjustment nut compared to the exhaust valves.

Being that it is 20+ years old, check for rust, clutch wear, etc. I would even bring a spark plug socket and a compression tester with me.

The extent of the inspection I would be doing would be based on the price they're asking. If they're asking top dollar, I'd go through it with a fine tooth comb. IF they're asking a price that would leave room for an engine rebuild, few hundred bucks for clutches and a belt, etc. then I'd be a bit more lax and just make sure it's in decent shape and the frame isn't about to break in half.

edit: Just to add, sometimes people do limo conversions. In which case it may have the 295cc robins and not the 350. And weld quality of the limo conversion is dependent on the experience of the welder that did the work. Something worth noting and looking for.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO