lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2019, 08:56 AM   #1
4mula1fan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2008 RXV Kawasaki governor quit.

My cart, out of the blue has no governor. We were just cruising along and something stopped working. RPM will run way up. It made no noise at all when it happened. I’m sure something broke or came apart the way it took off. We’re camping so I don’t have access to my garage. It runs normally but has no limit to rpm. I sure don’t need to splatter my engine. Is there something I can look at?
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2019, 03:43 PM   #2
4mula1fan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2008 RXV Kawasaki governor quit.

Bumpity bump for advice.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:33 AM   #3
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

These engines actually do have a rev limiter built into the coil somehow. When you turn one up too fast it will do like a club car and cut fire, off and on again. super annoying. If your governor gave up, you'd have it doing the same. So there's no worry about going through a set of rings.

That being said, The governor is in the rear end, and if it's not a bad cable, you'll have to dig inside. There's not much inside to confuse you at all. three gears, two large ones are the ones that actually drive the wheels off the driven clutch, plus one tiny plastic one with a few fly-weights and a lever attached, that's the governor. My bet is it ate the plastic teeth off or the lever came loose.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:59 AM   #4
4mula1fan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the reply. Figures they would put a dang piece of plastic in there. It lasted 11 years though. I’ll just keep an eye on it and a light foot, and hope the rear end won’t grenade if it decides to chew some plastic.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:57 AM   #5
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Well, EZGO already went full-on disposable chargers on their later electric models, no surprise they started going cheap with rear end governors.

However, around here where our shop is, we get tons of requests to bypass the governor, not keep it intact. Seems folks here aren't satisfied with JUST going 19.5 MPH maximum.

But high speed gears is far more practical than removing it entirely.

You might be able to compensate somewhat by adjusting the accelerator cable travel, which is located on the rear end's top. there's a threaded cable and adjusting it adjusts how far the accelerator travels before engaging the carburetor.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO