lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2020, 10:12 PM   #1
oldarsecart
Not Yet Wild

Default 2000 Club Car DS Cutting Out When Hot

Hello!

Hoping to get some guidance/advice from the subject matter experts! Long story, but I rescued a 2000 Club Car DS a couple of years ago, "frankenstein'ed" it back to life, gave it a significant face lift with liftkit, new back seat, new wheels, etc, and well, its basically like my baby now, lol. Was running really good, but now cuts out and sputters after about 10 minutes running.

I searched all the online content i could find, and here is what i have done to troubeshoot/remediate, but issue persists:
  • Replaced Carb
  • Replaced Fuel Filters
  • Removed old gas/replaced with high octane,etc
  • Replaced Spark plug
  • Replaced Spark plug wire/ignition coil (not fun)
  • Replaced RPM Limiter

I put it all back together and it will idle for days, and run fine until it gets hot and then, same issue, lose power and sputter back to the garage.

Any ideas? Should I cut my losses and move on?
oldarsecart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2020, 01:06 PM   #2
oldarsecart
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2000 Club Car DS Cutting Out When Hot

Couple more notes:

whatever problem is seems to be getting worse, now cuts out when accelerating as soon as you start it, even cold (not hot).

Also, as soon as I put into gear (forward or reverse) the engine starts to turn, i dont remember that being how it worked in the past.

Additionally, i've never been able to get "maintenance mode" to work, when i pull the yellow knob and twist it, it wont start at all, and if i do it while running, it kills it.

When i was testing to see if it was the RPM limiter, I completely removed the rpm limiter and I noticed I could not get it to turn off at all.

I say all of this in case this is a known symptom of an electrical malfunction or mis-wiring of some sort. Definitely possible with my minimal knowledge, etc.

Any and all feedback welcome and appreciated! at this point its trial and error!
Old 09-07-2020, 06:58 PM   #3
in62095
Not Yet Wild

I noticed the same thing for my cart and trying to figure it out. I changed pretty much everything as well. What happens to mine is it putters out and chugs here and there. Right away after it dies, I found if i take spark plug wire off and check spark while hitting GO. it won't spark at first then it will start sparking when i ground the screw driver to bolt. it starts sparking stronger and stronger as i move it away from ground. I put the plug wire back on and starts right up.
in62095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:05 PM   #4
oldarsecart
Not Yet Wild

thanks for responding. Can you clarify this statement:

"it will start sparking when i ground the screw driver to bolt".

Which bold are you referring to?
Old 09-08-2020, 06:17 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If it starts running as soon as you shift it into gear, without depressing the gas pedal, something is wrong.

If maintenance mode does not work, then it is related to the above. Id suspect a faulty microswitch and/or incorrect wiring.

Id double check ALL of the wiring (yes, the entire cart... there isn't really "that" much...) and once the wiring is correct, if youre still having issues we can help troubleshoot. But until the wiring is right, you're wasting your time and money chasing anything else.

Also, did you install an oem kawasaki ignition coil? Or an aftermarket?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Q9WsMs7.jpg (109.8 KB, 0 views)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:45 PM   #6
oldarsecart
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply CP241. I have verified wiring and I believe it is correct.

since I know everyone has been on pins and needles for an update, lol, i think i finally found the problem. After reading a previous post reply from 1Arunem in August:

"I had a VERY similar issue. It took me a while to figure it out. I had cleaned carb, changed fuel pump, lines, filter, etc.

I finally figured out the fuel pickup tube had a bit of trash/dirt in it and restricting fuel flow. After cleaning it out, no more issues.."

on a wild hair i unscrewed the fuel pick up line and the attached pic is what i found!! Really clogged fuel line in the tank. Unbelievable. it was starved for gas the whole time. Probably overthought the whole thing, but that's why im not a mechanic i suppose.

When i first started to work on it, i drained old gas and actually vacuumed some dirt out the tank. it was completely dry and clean, no idea how the dirt is getting in, separate issue i suppose.

My wife laughed and asked how much i spent on parts, but i tell myself those parts needed to be replaced (eventually) anyway.

Anyway, thanks guys!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0905.jpg (71.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-12-2020, 09:18 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Glad you got it figured out

check the rubber seal around the vent tube (the cone looking thing next to the pickup tube). The rubber ring tends to disintegrate and make a nasty mess in the bottom of the tank.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:57 PM   #8
oldarsecart
Not Yet Wild

i bet thats it!! Thank you!
Old 10-04-2020, 12:01 PM   #9
DNA327
Not Yet Wild

CP241 I have the same issue here but I replaced the ignition coil with an aftermarket one. Do you think I have to order an oem kawasaki?

I haven't checked the fuel pickup line. I will see if it's also starving for fuel....fingers crossed!

oldarsecart while I was troubleshooting , I found that the gas pedal was sometimes not releasing back all the way when you let it go (leaving a micro switch activated), maybe you have the same issue if it starts as soon as you change gears? I would have to help it back for it not to start as I put it on gear. Also, check if the gear handle screw is not lose.
DNA327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:39 PM   #10
DNA327
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA327 View Post
CP241 I have the same issue here but I replaced the ignition coil with an aftermarket one. Do you think I have to order an oem kawasaki?

I haven't checked the fuel pickup line. I will see if it's also starving for fuel....fingers crossed!

oldarsecart while I was troubleshooting , I found that the gas pedal was sometimes not releasing back all the way when you let it go (leaving a micro switch activated), maybe you have the same issue if it starts as soon as you change gears? I would have to help it back for it not to start as I put it on gear. Also, check if the gear handle screw is not lose.
Well I practically ran to see if it was a plugged fuel line, but it wasn't ☹️. But I did notice it has 2 fuel filters installed. Is this a normal setup? would it affect the fuel pump?

How do I upload a picture here?

I guess I will have to replace the ignition coil again, this time with an oem kawasaki. Does anyone have the original part number or link where to get this part?
DNA327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car