lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2021, 05:20 PM   #1
mike w
Not Yet Wild

Default 98 ezgo txt erratic spark

I have a 98 ezgo txt gas. When I got the cart you had to jump the solenoid to get it to run over.
New Solenoid and igniter New igniter because someone had wired up a hei igniter.
Cart turns over now but with plugs pulled I get spark when I push the throttle then it stops. Then it sparks when you get off the throttle. I have jumped the ignition switch and it does the same thing.
Any advice and ideas would be appreciated
mike w is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-03-2021, 11:04 PM   #2
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 98 ezgo txt erratic spark

Based on age, I'll assume you have a pre-MCI motor in it. Someone clearly did some wrenching...possible they swapped a MCI motor into it though. You can tell by the exhaust manifold. Older Pre-MCI engine has a separate cast iron manifold that bolts to the back of the head. The newer MCI engine has an integrally cast aluminum head with exhaust manifold. If you have an MCI motor and you have a pre-MCI ignitor, you will have issues. It is likely you bought an aftermarket ignitor. While I have never bought one, word around here is that the aftermarket ignitors are junk...they are cheap, but work erratically, if at all. See if you can find a junk yard around or someone that swapped a big block into an older TXT. They may have an original ignitor laying around. NOS OEM ignitors are expensive like gold unfortunately.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:50 AM   #3
mike w
Not Yet Wild

It has the exhaust manifold that goes into 1. They aren’t separate.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:05 AM   #4
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Your battery is the correct way ?
If not then your ignitor is probably bad. Sparking one time is normally a tell tell sign.
Stay far away from those cheap ones if you can
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:10 AM   #5
mike w
Not Yet Wild

Yes battery is correct. Igniter was bought from nivel. I’ll see if I can locate a good stock igniter
Old 01-05-2021, 12:01 PM   #6
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike w View Post
It has the exhaust manifold that goes into 1. They aren’t separate.
Well, they both "go into one" See attached clip from the engine manual.
Robbin engine manual engine illustration.pdf
The primary image in the center shows a Pre-MCI engine, or what should be in your cart, and the lower right blow up shows the MCI version. The difference is that the exhaust manifold in the Pre-MCI motor (Item 171) is a separate cast iron piece from the aluminum head, and the newer MCI model, that manifold is cast aluminum as part of the head. The reason it is significant is that they use different ignitors. A MCI ignitor on a pre-MCI machine won't work and vice versa.
20210105_115319.jpg
Above are the two ignitors...the pre-MCI or earlier version has the wires coming directly out of the unit, while the later version (MCI) has a connector on top. If your motor has the separate cast iron exhaust manifold, it should have the earlier version ignitor, and if integrally cast aluminum head/exhaust manifold, it should have the later version ignitor. In either case, OEM ignitors are the way to go.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO