lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-15-2010, 09:23 PM   #11
Pfretz
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Upgrading Controller and Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmonist View Post
I have dealt with D&D and Alltrax on the phone and they were both more than helpful. They will answer the questions YOU have instead of trying to upsale you. Many sponsors on here sell their products. I bought my high torque motor from EVdrives mostly due to customer service and price. They have the wire upgrades in length instead of a kit, which is what I needed. I saved about $100 by buying the upgraded wire I needed instead of the kit (I already had 2ga between all batts). I try to buy my stuff from the same supplier when possible instead of bits and pieces from different suppliers.

I spent about $1100 on motor, controller, wires, programmer, and solenoid. However, I went with the highest torque motor I could get - for hunting - you may not need that much more torque.

The upgrade was very simple if you are mechanically inclined.

Brian
If you would gone with a lower torque motor would you have gained more speed?
Pfretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-15-2010, 09:27 PM   #12
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfretz View Post
Doug,,,,, Is there any great advantage in using 2 gauge wire instead of 4.
I don't see the real advantage and 2ga is harder to get on all the connections to the controller and F-N-R switch. Technically, the 2ga will conduct 2x the amperage that 4ga will but I doubt that doing the driving around that you are doing that it would be utilized or even needed with a 400a controller let alone the stock 275a one you have now. The only time extra heavy cable has some advantage is when your near stall speeds on the motor and it is drawing max amps. When you are up to cruising speed or climbing a hill at speed, the amperage draw is way less than crawling through the mud at slow speeds.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #13
bdmonist
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
If you would gone with a lower torque motor would you have gained more speed?
That is typically correct. If you want more torque - you give up speed to get it. I got the highest torque motor on the market, but that's what I needed for my application. Speed was not really an issue for me.
bdmonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:20 AM   #14
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

When U upgrade cables, do all #6's to #4 or #2 , NOT just batteries !
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #15
Pfretz
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLEEMO View Post
When U upgrade cables, do all #6's to #4 or #2 , NOT just batteries !
Thanks, I figured that would be the best thing to do. I know I could make the cables, but is there a recommended set that you know of? Also if I upgrade the controller is it necessary to replace the solenoid?

This place is a wealth of knowledge and ideas. I've been reading the archives for 2 says now,,,,, and it might be getting dangerous. I am opinionated so I have to be careful I don't become one of those A55holes.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #16
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Thanks, I figured that would be the best thing to do. I know I could make the cables, but is there a recommended set that you know of? Also if I upgrade the controller is it necessary to replace the solenoid?
If you want to buy premade cables, our sponsors have them for $100+. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/site-sponsors.php
If you are doing the DIY:
Cables are here: https://weldingsupply.securesites.co...:4:UNDEF::::PA
Lugs are here: http://spectrowireandcable.com/c/Meg...er-Loaded.html

Your current solenoid should be just fine unless you are having problems with it now.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #17
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

One of the site sponsers sells this kit .
check it out a He11 of a good price , cut to fit and color coded .

https://www.3rsalesandservice.com/ca.../0BAT-1007.htm

another sells this #2 upgrade

http://www.eastcoastcarts.com/catalo...ts/1245CC2.htm
Old 02-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #18
txbonds
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
I don't see the real advantage and 2ga is harder to get on all the connections to the controller and F-N-R switch. Technically, the 2ga will conduct 2x the amperage that 4ga will but I doubt that doing the driving around that you are doing that it would be utilized or even needed with a 400a controller let alone the stock 275a one you have now. The only time extra heavy cable has some advantage is when your near stall speeds on the motor and it is drawing max amps. When you are up to cruising speed or climbing a hill at speed, the amperage draw is way less than crawling through the mud at slow speeds.
So what if ultimate plans were to change out to a motor like a plum quick or EMP and a 400 or 500 amp alltrax. On a 48v CC IQ, would 4ga be enough, or would I need 2ga? I'm looking at the same upgrade, so might as well get which makes sense. Use would be on road, some hills, up to 4 people and some trail riding.
txbonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:27 PM   #19
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

sure but for $15-20 more go with the bigger #2, then if U go with a BEAST and 700 Amp
you wont have to do it again
Old 02-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #20
Pfretz
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yes,,, for the $10 or $15 dollar difference it seems like going with the 2 ga would be the way to go. Will it actually make any difference in torque or performance by using 2 ga instead of 4 ga without changing the standard controller and motor?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car