lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
steveho
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Newbie question CC IQ to series

I'm just picked up a 2005 two passenger Club Car DS, 48V IQ
It is totally stock, looking for more speed I see a pretty limited number of motors for the IQ system. Wondering where does it come into play when upgrading this.
Can I change this over to series. That is if I'm planning on replacing the motor, controller, solenoid, F/R switch and cables anyway, what would be the issue? the 5-0 "throttle", the computer (needed with everything else swapped?)

Thanks all in advance!
steveho is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-15-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Newbie question CC IQ to series

yes, it can be changed over, but you will have to redo the control wiring. Other than that, there isn't really any major issues. Tell us which direction you want to go and we can advise you further.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveho View Post
I'm just picked up a 2005 two passenger Club Car DS, 48V IQ
It is totally stock, looking for more speed I see a pretty limited number of motors for the IQ system. Wondering where does it come into play when upgrading this.
Can I change this over to series. That is if I'm planning on replacing the motor, controller, solenoid, F/R switch and cables anyway, what would be the issue? the 5-0 "throttle", the computer (needed with everything else swapped?)

Thanks all in advance!
There should be a kit available from PlumQuick that can take your IQ cart to Series with speeds up to 40 mph. I believe it contains a wiring harness adapter as well as motor, controller, etc., etc., to make this complete. I will be getting one myself if and when it becomes available and will document the install as well as the performance. Currently my cart runs solid at 26mph with just the IQ Purple motor, ($225,) and no controller upgrade!
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
steveho
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
yes, it can be changed over, but you will have to redo the control wiring. Other than that, there isn't really any major issues. Tell us which direction you want to go and we can advise you further.
Thanks Rabbit, I was thinking D392 motor, 500 amp controler (enough? model suggestions?) at least #4 cables, HD FR and solo' not sure what else I'll need to add to that. I see 22" tires, perhaps a rear seat in the future, better brakes?. I'll check on requirements for street here in Ga, have lights incl brake and turn, rear view, need seat belts at least.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
steveho
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
There should be a kit available from PlumQuick that can take your IQ cart to Series with speeds up to 40 mph. I believe it contains a wiring harness adapter as well as motor, controller, etc., etc., to make this complete. I will be getting one myself if and when it becomes available and will document the install as well as the performance. Currently my cart runs solid at 26mph with just the IQ Purple motor, ($225,) and no controller upgrade!
Thanks Scuba, I was thinking a bit more than the purple, asked this question after looking at their site, seeing the "not for IQ systems" on the setup you're speaking of (and everywhere else), might go that route instead of the D392 if I can get all the pieces but might be bit overboard (is there such a thing?). I'm lacking experience but am pretty handy with a wrench crimper or soldering iron.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #6
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveho View Post
Thanks Rabbit, I was thinking D392 motor, 500 amp controler (enough? model suggestions?) at least #4 cables, HD FR and solo' not sure what else I'll need to add to that. I see 22" tires, perhaps a rear seat in the future, better brakes?. I'll check on requirements for street here in Ga, have lights incl brake and turn, rear view, need seat belts at least.
the D392 is a nice motor, but the Plum Quick motors are even nicer. Nothing wrong with the 500 AMP controller, GE or ALLTRAX would be my suggestions.

If you are going to do those upgrades, I definately suggest getting a disk brake kit for the front end and HD leaf springs for the rear.

Most "street legal" states require:
Headlights
Taillights
Stop lights
Turn signals
Safety Belts
Safety windshield
Wiper (not sure they all require this)
Florida also technically requires a white light on the tag (once you get your tag) but they haven't been enforcing that one on lately.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:34 AM   #7
steveho
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Looks like a Jake lift kit would be in the works unless there are more brake kits out there than I have found so far
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car