lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
flex
Not Yet Wild

Default 98 Club Car sputtered then stalled

I got this golf cart 2 years ago and its been running great until now. Batteries are a year old. its 48 volt. I recently added water and put a charger on each battery because the voltage was too low for the main charger to charge. I now have 8.1 volts on each battery. I took golf cart on a test run and it ran fine for 500 feet. It sputtered a little almost like the tires were slipping but then it accelerated again. I stopped and fixed the windshield and the cart did nothing. hasnt moved since. I have 48 volts on the batteries. at first when i hit the pedal i heard a loud Click from solenoid. it does nothing now, doesnt click and battery charger does not charge again. I have 48 volts going to motor and solenoid. When i give it gas the volts drop down to 5 or 6 on batteries so i know its drawing voltage. Any help? i tried telling the hole story... thanks alot
flex is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-28-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 98 Club Car sputtered then stalled

Welcome to BGW, flex.

this statement .......
I have 48 volts going to motor and solenoid. When i give it gas the volts drop down to 5 or 6 on batteries

Tells me your batteries are very nearly toast......they should not drop below 44v or so under the heaviest of loads.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
flex
Not Yet Wild

Thanks... Guess its time to replace. Any suggestions on where to purchase 8 volt batteries?
flex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

NO .....heck we don't even know where you are... the internet is a big place
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:55 PM   #5
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

before you go and drop $800 on batteries, might want to test the power system unloaded. ie: rear end on jack stands. if the tires spin, batteries are probably a safe bet. if the tires don't spin, either you have some seriously dead batteries or something else is at play.

im no expert in the golf cart arena, but i find it hard to believe that the cart ran fine for 500ft then all 6 cells suddenly gave up the ghost!
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

FLEX--to start with your test of batterys "8.1" indicates that you only have about 45% of charge on a 8 volt battery fully charged should read 8.49 volts. Your pack voltage test showed "48 Volts" which is only about 50% of charge.
You need to fully charge batterys and then after waiting at least one hour do DIGITAL VOLTAGE tests again and post for forum your readings on each battery. If then readings are still off you will need to do load test and or a hydrometer test? You may very well have battery problems but lets be sure before spending large sums of money?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car