lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
sledgehammer800
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Rear Differential gears

I've got a 2000 or 2001 pds regen drive ezgo converted over to 48v with a 500amp alltrax controller, D&D torque motor, back seat added, and "I think 5" lift kit 22x11x12 tire's. I can do a wheelie with around 85lbs and up sitting on back. BUT, I want to do a wheelie with just me "250lbs" up front. Do I go with the 8:1 for speed? because the torque motor and controller has all the torque I need? Or do I just go with the 15:1 for a LOT of torque. I just didn't want to lose ANY!! speed. Already slow enough...LOL
sledgehammer800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Rear Differential gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledgehammer800 View Post
I've got a 2000 or 2001 pds regen drive ezgo converted over to 48v with a 500amp alltrax controller, D&D torque motor, back seat added, and "I think 5" lift kit 22x11x12 tire's. I can do a wheelie with around 85lbs and up sitting on back. BUT, I want to do a wheelie with just me "250lbs" up front. Do I go with the 8:1 for speed? because the torque motor and controller has all the torque I need? Or do I just go with the 15:1 for a LOT of torque. I just didn't want to lose ANY!! speed. Already slow enough...LOL

BIG Difference between 8:1 & 15:1 / 8:1 lots of speed but really affects torque. Just my 2 cents...
300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
sledgehammer800
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

If I'm getting 23to24 mph how much will I loss going from 12.44 to 15.0 to 1
Old 03-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledgehammer800 View Post
If I'm getting 23to24 mph how much will I loss going from 12.44 to 15.0 to 1
Mathematically speaking = 25% or about 5mph
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
sledgehammer800
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

First off let me say that is a beautiful cart you have. I think I'm just going to put the torque gears in and be done with it. Better half just didn't want to lose any top speed nor the wheelie's. She Love's to see the kids face when they see us drag the rear foot step for the back seat. It actually has 45% wore into the support beams. But at the same time I showed her the front steering arm bent upward thinking it would change her mind. Nope nothing changed. Also the camp grounds don't take to kindly to wheelie's. That don't brother her though. I even had a deputy sheriff tap me on the shoulder down at ocean lakes "Son where not going be doing any more of those wheelie's are we? " and with big yes sir!! and a deep apology I was glad to be able to drive off without any ticket's but again she just laughs. I tried. Today maybe. There always has to be somebody with use cause it won't quite do it by itself so that was the reason for going with a gear set. I was just hoping with the 500amp,48v conversion, and torque motor having a faster gear would do it. I've got the torque but it just seems like it's a little hesitant to take off. It don't need much cause my neighbor's kid weighs about 85lbs and with him just sitting there no snatching it will make it passed the pivot point and go a good distance before coming back down. Sorry for the long post I'm just getting pumped up it's about camping season again. We just have some much fun. I guess I'm just like a kid when it comes to camping.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

If you install torque gears you WILL lose top end speed.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
wizardket
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
If you install torque gears you WILL lose top end speed.
And pop more wheelies!
wizardket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:42 AM   #8
sledgehammer800
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well guys I installed the 15:1 torque gears and now the thing sounds like a Polaris atv. It wines like crazy. With just the input and the intermediate gear while still dry I turned it by hand and it made a small roar then. There was a good bit of back lash. There was two sets on eBay by same Co. with same description with different photo's so I called to make sure I got the right set. Oh and by the way they also had different price's.And naturally I was sold the cheaper of the two. Now I know why...:( Has anyone else had this problem. I email the seller and this is the reply I got.

Tell you the truth I have not had any real noise issues with the gears properly installed. If by chance they are install a little off that could cause some issues. The gears should be installed by a mechanic. As for the price I had them marked down to reduce inventory. The gear oil commonly used in the EZGO Ele is 90 wt. I hope this helps. ****he originally said they were an old set that just been sitting on the shelf to long.****

My reply::::Well, I had a feeling I would get a reply like this. I have been a certified mechanic for the past 20+ years. They where installed correctly. the input shaft itself has step down cut into the gear on one end which I think is poor precision a machinist or engineer.Any time I install a gear that has a way to adjust backlash I will use a dial indicator alone with bluing it to be certain. Most people I know just use feel. Which in this case it wasn't necessary nor applicable. As a matter of fact there's not any adjustment other than axial witch is aliened perfect. I will add also it took 20k lbs on a electric /hydraulic press to get the intermediate gear compressed. I even brought home a cup spring to apply a little end play pressure on the input shaft.But you got me and it won't happen again.I'm not just some naive little boy. However you have tried to make me into one. Hope your business goes well. I'm sick of doing business with people out of town. You once again have reminded me the importance of doing business local. So I guess I owe you a thank you!!!!
And again His:::::I'm sorry to say I don't make the parts I just sell them. I get my gears from the same machinist shop as everyone ells on the net. If you think they are defective I would be happy to see about having you send them back and we can get you a replacement set. I really don't know what more I can do. Let me know

This was something once I replace I would have thought I would be done. Now I've got to go back in and redo stinks. Has anyone else had this problem???
Old 03-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #9
sledgehammer800
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I relly nedd some input "help" on this I've got to do something soon.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO