lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2011, 04:13 PM   #11
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

Default Re: 82 ezgo, Plug not getting wet, won't turn over

I forgot to mention that also on my stock carb, the slowby pass jet on the side had popped out. I had taken one out of the bigger carb that I have that is for a 89 I believe. They seem like they were the same size. Could that be a problem with fuel delivery and not getting to the plug? I also had no problems of performance before or going uphill. I never had to choke. I actually never used the choke, so I was hoping it's not a crank seal issue.I was uderneath it earlier and did notice it looks like a gummy oil buildup around where the exhaust pipe attaches underneath if that helps any. I looked back where the clutch attaches to the crankshaft with the 5 bolts and didn't see any type of seal sticking out.
fingerpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #12
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i,m not sure you can mix or match needle valves so that may be your problem since they are different carbs...........someone will know for certain...........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:26 AM   #13
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Have you established that petrol is actually getting to the carb ? It's not at all uncommon for fuel pumps to fail.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #14
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

Yeah, I have checked the line coming into carb from fuel pump, mashed accelerator and it's pumping. I took fuel pump apart as well and looked for any damage and didn't see any. I am putting on a slightly bigger carb today to see if there is any carb difference and try to rule out carb. I sure hope it's not like a crank seal problem or something , because I know nothing about taking the engine apart. It had good power though before I started having carb problems,so it leads me to believe that it's not a crank seal problem.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #15
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

well if its crank seals you don,t have to take engine apart you don,t even have to take it out of the cart......not as hard as you think....................
Old 07-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #16
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

I guess I'm going to order a new fuel pump, maybe there's something there intermittent going on. I tried the pump again after I put carb in today and it didn't pump as strong as before. I'll replace the rubber fuel lines too. I just don't know anything about crank seals or where to begin if that's the case. Although I looked underneath and behind the clutch and didn't see any seal protruding out.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #17
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

right where the shaft goes into engine behind clutch.....the rubber that rides around the shaft there...is part of the seal..............................
Old 07-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #18
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

When I disconnect fuel line from the pump to carb and press accelarator and it pumps, just not strong, does that mean it's still maybe a crank seal problem?I am just trying to figure out if the seal problem is only when the pump is not pumping. I am wandering if maybe I just need to change the pump, or maybe a pump priming problem, or something with gas line clogged a little coming from the gas tank.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #19
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerpicker View Post
I guess I'm going to order a new fuel pump, maybe there's something there intermittent going on. I tried the pump again after I put carb in today and it didn't pump as strong as before. I'll replace the rubber fuel lines too. I just don't know anything about crank seals or where to begin if that's the case. Although I looked underneath and behind the clutch and didn't see any seal protruding out.
Before getting a new pump, I'd check the vacuum line from the crankcase to the fuel pump. If this line is cracked, you could be losing a lot of suction through here.

With the crank seals, it is a fair bit of work, as you need to get the engine out (sorta hard), get the clutch off (harder) and get the flywheel off ($%@#$%@). If they are failing, there is not much visible that you can see wrong with them - it is simply the rubber around the crankshaft wearing out.

A couple of things to try are:
- Replace the vacuum line if it looks like it needs it
- If you don't have it already, replace the fuel line above the carb with a clear line
- Try starting the cart in reverse; sometimes the crank seals wear out unevenly, and still work in R
- Spray some WD40 around the crank seal behind the clutch, and try to get some behind the flywheel/fan. If gas pumps better when you do this (or it starts), the seals are likely shot.

Good idea for the WD40 test to either put the cart on jack stands, or pull the drive belt off.

Good luck. And BTW, if you leaned it out, you'll likely need a new spark plug.
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #20
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

Thanks for the info Scooter, I'll look for the line you mention of the fuel pump. Is it below the fuel pump or something, or is the one coming from the fuel filter? I actually had a buddy that came over today and he said that he was betting that my rings were shot. I was telling him what all has been going on with it. The other day my brother-in-law was driving it before it messed up. I had put 2 oz. of oil in and told him to get 2 gallons. Well I had noticed later that he pretty much filled up my tank.So, it seems he put way too much gas to oil. My buddy said also that I should have been putting more oil than 1 oz. per gallon anyway. I know nothing about rings. I'm trying to learn as I go along. He told me to take out the plug and put my hand over it and if it don't knock my hand off that the rings are gone. I could only put one of my fingers and it had pressure but didn't necessarily knock my finger out of the hole
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO